Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Playing Heads Up with Middle Pair and a dangerous board.

I've been reading the Semi-Bluff Defense Chapter in Theory of Poker to help me with these types of problems.

How would you pros handle this Heads Up situation, any no-limit game against a Slightly Loose, Typically Aggressive player.

Hero: Button ----> A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I raise, Villain Calls..

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain Bets...
Fold, Call, or Raise, and why?
-Thanks.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Playing Heads Up with Middle Pair and a dangerous board.

I can only answer this from a limit perspective and there are no bet sizes anyhow... I'm not a pro either, but:

I raise and bet the turn. There are flush and straight draws out, you have middle pair. He could have anything. I want to be seeing a showdown here unless things get really scary.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:40 PM

If he's aggressive enough to bet a draw the entire way then I just call down unless I improve. If I don't think he will bet a busted draw on the river then I raise a brick turn.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's aggressive enough to bet a draw the entire way then I just call down unless I improve. If I don't think he will bet a busted draw on the river then I raise a brick turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line as well on the turn, but I also have doubts to whether there's value from a non-diamond river bet. A lower 9 will most likely call as will a J, a solid player might fold a 7. If he's tricky and can c/r lightly, then I'll check through. Against a more ABC I'll bet/fold a non-d river.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:11 PM

Personally I think it's a fold or a call, because you may be beat already, and if he's on a draw he has an easy call, he may have a pair and flush draw, pair and str8 draw, so..if the turn comes safe, then I'd fire...
Old 07-19-2005, 01:18 PM

Spy Dog and Jordan, those are Good Responses, I never thought about the extra bet I may get on the river by inducing a bluff, and if he wouldn't bet his busted draw, I should raise him on turn to get extra bet and or fold him, cool, [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 02:10 PM

Doesn't anyone want to charge him for his draw? Letting him see cheap turn and rivers doesnt seem reasonable.

I can understand letting a bluffer bet through the hand, but this guy is more likely drawing than anything.

The problem I have with raising the turn is that half the pack is a scare card card. This could either be difficult when a scare card comes, or even worse backfire and cost more bets.

I think most "Typically Aggressive" players are going to wake up when they hit on the turn, and then when he check raises or whatever you can make a reasonable decision as to folding or not. I think jamming the pot when you are likely ahead is the way to go, and can make decisions easier later in the hand.

Anyway, it sounds like you already had the answer, so why ask the question?