Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Complimented at the table (psychology)

This probably belongs in the psych forum but I'm putting it here as these are the games I play so people here might be familiar enough with my game to make more informed responses.

Anyway, I played a hand yesterday at a 6-max table where I overcalled a raise in LP with KQ, the flop came KT4r and we all checked. The turn was a medium card, original raiser bet 2/3 pot, someone calls, I overcall. The river was another king (so the board is KT4xK and there is no flush or straight possible). The preflop raiser makes a 1/3 pot bet, someone folds and, closing the action, I just call, get shown AK and lose the pot to trips with a better kicker. My reasons for playing the hand this way have a lot to do with the raiser and caller so I'm not looking for input, just setting the scene.

After the hand, the preflop raiser (who took down the pot), types in the chat "no raise on the end with KQ?", I typed back "I didn't see you calling with a worse hand", there's a slight pause, and he types "Your [sic] good". Then he sits out a few orbits (possibly a coincidence).

Anyway, a few questions:

1) Should I leave this table?
2) Do I play any differently against the chatter and, if so, in what way do I change my play?
3) Does the exchange necessitate a change in my style against the other people at the table? They may or may not have noticed the conversation and/or the hand itself (I didn't show, they'd have to check the HH). If you feel I should change gears, in what specific way(s) should I do so?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Complimented at the table (psychology)

Personally, I'd expect your raises to get more respect from the chatter, and anyone else I thought was paying attention. I'd probably be slightly more inclined to make a big bluff at some point, especially if I could show down a good hand sometime in the next 2 or 3 orbits, but I wouldn't force it.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:35 PM

I figure most players will forget the hand and the chat within a few hands or at best a few orbits. It seems to take a fair bit of repetition to impress a table image on most players. I think they are just looking at thier cards most of the time.

Those that are paying attention will likely respect your raises. I would not make any changes, except that a bluff might be in order as last poster suggested.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure most players will forget the hand and the chat within a few hands or at best a few orbits. It seems to take a fair bit of repetition to impress a table image on most players. I think they are just looking at thier cards most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on the game/level he is playing in. The higher you play, the less applicable is what you say and vice versa.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your [sic] good".

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll answer your questions with a question.

what does "sic" mean?

btw. i dont like calling raises with KQ. not to say i dont if table conditions warrant it. was this one of those cases?

[ QUOTE ]

1) Should I leave this table?

[/ QUOTE ]
if you find a better one, sure [ QUOTE ]

2) Do I play any differently against the chatter and, if so, in what way do I change my play?

[/ QUOTE ]
no, but you'll probably be more prone to bluffing him, so just push draws heavier towards him [ QUOTE ]

3) Does the exchange necessitate a change in my style against the other people at the table? They may or may not have noticed the conversation and/or the hand itself (I didn't show, they'd have to check the HH). If you feel I should change gears, in what specific way(s) should I do so?

[/ QUOTE ]

more aggressive

but they probably wont notice
Old 07-19-2005, 02:38 PM

(informative post of the day)

sic is latin for "thus" or "like so." people use when they're quoting someone else making a mistake, so no one assumes the mistake is theirs.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(informative post of the day)

sic is latin for "thus" or "like so." people use when they're quoting someone else making a mistake, so no one assumes the mistake is theirs.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice, thanks sephus
Old 07-19-2005, 05:51 PM

i probably would have responded to the guy with something that says I am a calling station, I don't really know what i am doing, hopefully the guy will stay, people at the table reading the chat will think you are a dunce and then tighten up significantly after that.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:54 PM

but that's just me, I rarely ever say anything I really believe about poker at the table, I mostly try to manipulate people, push buttons using subtle ways, when I discuss moves at the table I never talk about the right way to play.