Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 10:35 AM

Default 10\'s in the BB - Quick one

Curious about this play. We're 80 away from money and I have 1010 in BB with approx 12x BB stack. UTG-MP2 all limp to me.

I'm thinking I could flat call here and hope to flop my set, or make a move at the pot. In the end I push and collect all the limper chips but I'm wondering if this play is sound? Obviously I'm dead to a big pocket limper.

P
Old 07-19-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: 10\'s in the BB - Quick one

Good play.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:41 AM

I'm not clear how many limpers there were, but usually you can count on winning the pot outright with a significant raise from the blinds unless you're table image is real loose. SO the big decision for me would be whether I wanted a high probability of winning what was already in there, or take a chance on doubling up by just checking. With 3 or more limpers I'm almost positive I push, but with just 2 I think I just call and hope to get more out of the hand.

I also think you have a good chance of being called as a big favorite if you push, and there are a lot of limpers. Usually the guy with the medium pair thinks you're making a move by overbetting and decides to race you, which is great for you here.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:44 AM

3 limpers here for what its worth. Should have mentioned that.

Thanks for the confirmation. My play is improving, but I think I'm making a number of mistakes here and there that are preventing me from getting full value on my decent hands. This was one of those spots.

Appreciate the insight.

P
Old 07-19-2005, 10:46 AM

I like the push.. You just went from 12 to 15 1/2 BB (29%).

If you check in the BB, half the deck could hit and drive you out of the pot. Say it comes J-9-2.. You bet 240 (3 BB) on the flop and everybody folds.. Same result as moving all in!

Flop comes J-9-2, You bet 240 (3 BB) on the flop.. You get re-raised. Now what? You have to fold.

Flop comes J-9-2, You bet 240 (3 BB) on the flop.. You get 1 caller. Now what? Opponent could have anything, and you gotta follow up with a continuation bet, and you only have 770 left in your stack!

Flop Comes J-9-2.. You check?! Somebody bets. Now what? You gotta fold.

Good Push Pre-flop IMO.. Put those 3 1/2 BB in your back pocket.