Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 08:56 AM

Default Re: bluffing in micro limits

I agree with you completely about this. Most of the time (in my experience,) people are likely to just call down with anything. However, (and this may not be as true for party), at stars micros where I play, there are usually 2-3 players on each table who are fairly weak tight Lee Jones clones. If you know who they are, or you can recognise them, sometimes bluffing can be quite profitable.

I think, however, it is a misconception that everyone at micros doesn't have a clue about the game. Certainly quite a few, if not most, are complete fish, but there are always some who at least try to be better players, and these are normally the weak tight predictables who are easier to take advantage of.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and these are normally the weak tight predictables who are easier to take advantage of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slightly off topic, but I'm probably one of these. so how do you take advantage? Is it just that we play SSHE ABC poker, ie raise with AA, call pairs etc etc. thus making the hand we play pretty much like an open book. Would you just bet, bet, bet, unless reraised where you would fold? Kind of interested to see what the next stage is.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and these are normally the weak tight predictables who are easier to take advantage of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slightly off topic, but I'm probably one of these. so how do you take advantage? Is it just that we play SSHE ABC poker, ie raise with AA, call pairs etc etc. thus making the hand we play pretty much like an open book. Would you just bet, bet, bet, unless reraised where you would fold? Kind of interested to see what the next stage is.

[/ QUOTE ]

all i can give is..."it depends". who our opponent is, texture of the board, where the opponent raised, what your hand is. or just do it for fun to see what happens [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

here's what i see from weak-tighties: they'll raise with overcards, but when bet into on the flop, if they missed, they'll call one, but fold the turn UI.

try reraising the flop. that'll shut down a bluff real quick.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
here's what i see from weak-tighties: they'll raise with overcards, but when bet into on the flop, if they missed, they'll call one, but fold the turn UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense to me. Are you talking about a multi-way hand or heads-up? 3-betting unimproved overcards (assuming you don't flop some sort of monster draw) into a big field is spewing chips.

If you're heads-up, I don't like it either. If you think you're being bluffed at, call it down. 3-betting gets you capped against a legit hand and folds out a bluffer. I'd rather call and keep him bluffing with the worst hand.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense to me. Are you talking about a multi-way hand or heads-up? 3-betting unimproved overcards (assuming you don't flop some sort of monster draw) into a big field is spewing chips.

If you're heads-up, I don't like it either. If you think you're being bluffed at, call it down. 3-betting gets you capped against a legit hand and folds out a bluffer. I'd rather call and keep him bluffing with the worst hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh* dude i was just giving an idea. i was talking about HU. this isn't a default. i was merely giving a suggestion to a poster asking about his weak-tight tendencies how to answer a possible bluffer.

there are tons of aspects to whether to call down or not, reraise or not, fold or not. so to return to the OP: it is very much possible to properly bluff at the proper time the proper amount of times against the proper opponent with the proper table image (yes, i do believe it is possible to have this online).
Old 07-19-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*sigh* dude i was just giving an idea. i was talking about HU. this isn't a default. i was merely giving a suggestion to a poster asking about his weak-tight tendencies how to answer a possible bluffer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I'm just trying to point out that the instinctive response of pushing back against someone you think is bluffing is often less profitable than sitting back and letting their own aggression work against them.

[ QUOTE ]
to return to the OP: it is very much possible to properly bluff at the proper time the proper amount of times against the proper opponent with the proper table image (yes, i do believe it is possible to have this online).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree. An earlier post in the thread made a good point that "no bluffing" is often good advice to give newbies, since many usually bluff far too much, but never firing at pots without a big hand also becomes as big a disadvantage as you improve and move up.