Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 11:17 PM

Default calling a raise out of the bb in limit holdem with two suited cards?

what kind of odds do i need to make this call correct? obviously all suited cards aren't created equally, i'll be much more liberal with a QJs than a 94s. when i'm getting 4-1 i've been taking the flop with any two suited cards and i'm wondering if you think this is too loose, or perhaps not loose enough. i haven't looked at any numbers but so far i have to say it's been unprofitable, but that might just be cold cards.

how bout greg raymer, back to back? it would be pretty cool. i'm from CT too, so gotta root for the home team.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Re: calling a raise out of the bb in limit holdem with two suited cards?

This depends on several factors. You're looking to take advantage of implied odds here first of all, so you want to do this more when the average pot size is higher. This will have more to do with the situation actually than simply how much money is in the pot right now. Second, of course this is going to matter, and the more people in the pot the more cards you can play.

Let's assume you're shooting for the flush alone here. As a general rule I'd probably want at least 3 opponents and an ace or king to be pretty sure of winning if I hit. You also should prefer suited connectors here of course since this gives you an extra way to win. I'd be more careful with playing gaps although you could go with things like QTs or even J9s.

KC
Old 07-14-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: calling a raise out of the bb in limit holdem with two suited cards?

so the T4s i'm calling with getting 4 or 5-1 on my money is a bad call? limit holdem, meaning a few callers of the initial raise.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: calling a raise out of the bb in limit holdem with two suited card

Getting 4 or 5 to 1 isn't gonna cut it. If you mean 4 or 5 people in the pot then go for it, you'll be getting 9 or 11 to 1. With semi connected stuff (T7s, 85s) and Kxs/Axs I'll take 7 to 1, I usually want at least 9 to 1 with random suited.

I could be wrong.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Re: calling a raise out of the bb in limit holdem with two suited card

no i meant 5-1, you're right, it was a leak in my game no doubt. thanks for the help.