Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 10:22 PM

Default I think I\'m becoming a jackass

Have any of you ever become so confident in your ability that you start to play LAG too often and many times against the wrong opponents? I'm trying to outplay my opponents way too often and I think that it's attributing to my current bad run. I feel like I'm a cocky jackass right now and I need to remedy this. Has anyone ever experienced this (where you try to win almost every pot that you play in)? Any advice as to the best way to get back to my A game? So far I'm considering cashing out back to the recommended 20 buyins in the hopes that it'll force me to tighten up...but I'm not a big fan of this b/c I want to move up in limits soon. I dunno, I'd appreciate any advice whatsoever...
Old 07-18-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: I think I\'m becoming a jackass

I went through it twice. Lost over 20 buy-ins each time. Each one came after a major rush. In fact, the second one came about a month after the first (i.e. I went down 20 buys, up 20 buys, down 20 buys in about 2 months). In any case, I didn't get back on my A game until I almost busted out (again). But then the secret that actually got me back on my game and staying on my game is adding tables. I used to play only 2 tables and I didn't really realise it but I was getting bored. So when I finally calmed down, stopped bluffing, got myself back up to 10 buyins or so, I added two more tables. Now I always 4 table and it really helps reduce the boredom factor. I find when I play live I still LAG it up and lose tons because I get bored of folding. Perhaps it's the same for you.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:28 PM

Why don't you move up in limits and get your ass kicked?
Then you'll be humbled and comfortable with yourself again.

Or maybe you'll make a fortune, and you'll buy yourself something nice to make yourself comfortable while you learn to live with being a jackass.

Looks like a win-win to me.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you move up in limits and get your ass kicked?
Then you'll be humbled and comfortable with yourself again.

Or maybe you'll make a fortune, and you'll buy yourself something nice to make yourself comfortable while you learn to live with being a jackass.

Looks like a win-win to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like this is the worst possible thing that I could do.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went through it twice. Lost over 20 buy-ins each time. Each one came after a major rush. In fact, the second one came about a month after the first (i.e. I went down 20 buys, up 20 buys, down 20 buys in about 2 months). In any case, I didn't get back on my A game until I almost busted out (again). But then the secret that actually got me back on my game and staying on my game is adding tables. I used to play only 2 tables and I didn't really realise it but I was getting bored. So when I finally calmed down, stopped bluffing, got myself back up to 10 buyins or so, I added two more tables. Now I always 4 table and it really helps reduce the boredom factor. I find when I play live I still LAG it up and lose tons because I get bored of folding. Perhaps it's the same for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar experience about 5 months ago. I went on a ridiculous rush (like 6 grand in a week) and I suddenly found myself playing NL600 and occasionally NL1000. Obviously this was pretty [censored] stupid, and I learned an expensive lesson. Maybe I'll try 4 tabling for a little and see if it helps me. I'm also considering playing abc poker for like 2,000 hands; I'll try both ideas.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:54 PM

Playing LAG and playing stupidly are two very different things -- just wanted to make that clear.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:58 PM

Ray Zee has written a semi-relevant article here .
Old 07-18-2005, 11:16 PM

Another thing to consider might be to simply play some different games, just stay away from my Pot-Limit Omaha games [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

It sounds like your getting a little bored at times. I just took a whole month off of hold em and only played PLO. Part of it was because I was a little bored, but also I think PLO is awesome and I really want to get good so I was dedicated to putting in lots of hours. Regardless I just today sat back down at some 100NL 6max games and it was fresh again and quite fun.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:57 PM

Anyone who feels like a cocky jacka$$ at 100NL cash games is simply a jacka$$.

This is laughable. Why would you go and create bad habits instead of moving up???

Play well and move up. When you're crushing the big game then maybe you can wear your "I'm good at poker" mesh hat and feel cool. But until then stop being pompous and just play poker.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:15 PM

It's happened to me before as well, and I couldn't agree more with what cased heel had to say. You get good, you move up, no room for being cocky. When it happened to me a few monthes back I got out of it by focusing on making the corrct plays and not the play I felt like making. My winnings went up and my limits have since doubled twice.