Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: I Feel Like I Should Know How To Play This...

[ QUOTE ]
But i think an aggressive villian is going to raise you fairly often on this turn. It looks like a scare card for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm not reading it right but I'm not sure why the turn could be seen as a scare card? Looks like a blank to me

In response to OP who is a much better player than myself, if the villain thinks he will get paid if his (non pairing) flush card hits then he is still making a mistake (this is the 1200 stack right?) by calling. I make it he's getting 20% implied pot odds with a 15% shot, although my math could be wrong [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I do like your line as well, although obviously not vs a passive player. It looks a bit like a draw or a hand like 88/99 when you check the turn and you get some money you may not have got by leading. It also may tempt some LAG's into semi bluffing over the top with the flush draw themselves, although you're prob more likely to see it with deeper stacks.

JM 2c
Old 07-18-2005, 02:02 AM

I like the line on the flop and turn but I'm just not sure if a hand you're beating calls the river, unless they flopped a set and if he is LAGish I doubt he hit a set. So, the only hand I see calling is a backdoored straight. I bet 300 again and hope he takes it as a sign of weakness.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:36 AM

A half-pot (300ish) value bet is best, IMO. It may induce a bluff from a busted draw and, if your opponent is LAG enough, you get paid off by worse hands as well.

Kirk R.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:50 PM

I like it fine up until the river push. I think the river push makes it too easy for him to get away from good but not great hands like a flopped 2 pair or a slowplayed overpair and doesn't give a busted draw a chance to bluff at it. The only thing you get called by with this bet is likely a set or a flopped straight and those hands are reraising you on the river anyway. I don't see how he can put you on anything other than a set here after that river push. He could easily be reading your turn CR as an overpair you were trying to trap with so your river lead should be consistent with that. If he's aggro enough he might try to push you off of it if you put out a weak $100-150 lead that looks like a blocking bet. I don't like much more than $100-150 because it doesn't give him enough left to come over you for enough to make it reasonable that you'd lay down AA.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:15 PM

Do most of you have good results with these river overbets? They just never seem to work for me. Most of my river value betting is somewhere between 2/5-2/3 of the pot.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Thoughts

Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. Here are some thoughts that I have:

Preflop: Sometimes I'll raise, but I usually just limp. 100 BB stacks are a pain in the ass... If the game is just a little deeper, I'll open everytime here. I think the real reason that I usually limp rather than raise is because the players aren't good enough that I need to raise small/medium pairs and because limping is easier when multitabling... Oh well.

Flop: Someone suggested an overbet, which I actually like in retrospect. I doubt that many hands call $40 and fold for $60, and that extra little bit helps me escalate the pot-size quicker...

Turn: I'm still a little torn on this street. I think that leading might be the way to go. For one, he might make a semibluff raise with 9h8h or Thxh or something. Two, if he has a hand that he slowplayed on the flop, I think bet-raise-push gets the money in easier given the stack sizes. Three, as people mentioned, I don't risk the free card. Four, I think that I am more likely to induce a river bluff after a bet than a check-raise.

Given that I check-raised, I also like the idea of raising a little more. Again, my big concern about this line is that he isn't making a mistake (to those who say he only had seven outs, I wouldn't be surprised if a gutshot were involved, giving him ten). $350-$400 should be enough to ensure that he's making a mistake by calling, plus it makes the river a little simpler since I don't think I'm getting away regardless... But, I think that the weird stack size means that this might need to be a bet rather than check-raise.

River: Although I had actually felt OK about my all-in, after reading the comments, I agree that this might be the street that I butchered rather than the turn. I think that a lead of $150 or a check probably nets more than what I did. I didn't want two pair to check behind, but I really think that a draw is so much more likely than a made hand, in retrospect. A weak lead will get paid if he hit a jack and might induce a bluff. Again, a weakness in my turn line is that it is so strong that he will probably not bluff the river if I check.

Anyway, not the most interesting hand in the world, but there was at least a little food for thought...

Mike