Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Where do I get away from this?

[ QUOTE ]
especially since alot of people see your big raise and automatically assume you have AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise that big with AQ and AJ and TT in this spot too.

That said, I tried to answer Villians question with "aggressiveness" in mind, since that's how he wanted to play. I almost always check behind on a Q high flop into two opponents with AK.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise that big with AQ and AJ and TT in this spot too

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd raise to 100 with AJ on level 1?

We have very different styles... I would fold AJ after one limper on level 1
Old 07-18-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You'd raise to 100 with AJ in the CO on level 1?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Yes. I'm all about playing hands for position. I probably wouldn't raise it that much in a higher buyin game where I'm almost certainly only called by hands that dominate me.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:03 PM

Preflop-
BigBlind is only 15, your bet of 150 is a bit much. Im thinking something like 50-75 is good.

Flop-
The continuation bet is not a bad idea but I think that its a bit small. If you dont think anyone has hit the queen you want to represent the Q, I would have bet out about 3\4 the pot. If you get called you know someone hit something and you can continue accordingly.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As Adanthar said, the preflop bet is way too big for level 1. Try 75, you're not narrowing things much (any) more with a 150 bet.

After that, your continuation on the flop isn't as big (or, alternately, is just as big but is a larger fraction of the pot). But once you get called on the flop, you need to stop throwing money at the pot. There are no discernable draws out there (this is a 22, so I suppose you might see A2, but I doubt it), so you've got to assume that they hit something.

Check behind on the turn, fold to anything but a tiny bet on the river unless you hit it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This all sounds sensible in the cold light of day.

My preflop raise was definitely too big, and I think this married me to the pot. If I'd put in a smaller raise I could have gotten away from it.

For anyone who was theorising about what the villain had here, the monkey had the monster trapping hand 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] With which he called a huge preflop raise, and called down for all his stack with a pair of 4's.

I guess it was soooooted.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For anyone who was theorising about what the villain had here, the monkey had the monster trapping hand 7, 4 With which he called a huge preflop raise, and called down for all his stack with a pair of 4's.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I keep saying about the donkeys at the lower buy-ins. Don't be surprised when they do call you down with their low to mid PP or if they pair up with any piece of the flop. These players get a huge charge out of making a "great read" by putting you on AK and calling down. Yet people continue to bluff these donkeys at the low buy-ins rather than betting for value against them when they have made hands. I don't get it.

Hands like this (which you see all the time at 22s and below) also make me wonder why everyone falls in love with AK, but so many people are afraid to raise in EP with JJ. If your opponents will call you down with a wide range of hands, wouldn't you rather have JJ? Especially since even the donkeys will shut down once the A hits?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be a large mistake to call a t60 bet with T9s, 33, etc., so I raise to t60 where it's not correct to call with those hands to try to stack AK.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-19-2005, 08:43 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

You have position, I'd raise to between 75-100 at that point, no one folds for 50.

If it's checked to you on the flop at that point, I'd fire out 1/2 to 3/4 of the current pot. If I get called, I'll likely slow down.

With him calling with 7/4 sooted out of position, you know he's a donk, especially going all-in against you. He doesn't read you for A/K at all, he just sees "wow, I hit my 4, I've got a pair, I ain't folding now!"

This is how many of them think, which can be great for you. I limped with A/J of diamonds from EP early in a tourney. Bunch of limpers and the flop is 9/10/A with two hearts. I fire out a 70 bet and get called by two players, some donk with 4/5 of hearts pushes all-in for 800. I call him and everyone folds, my Aces hold up and I become chip leader with 1800.

bubble time is always fun, had guys laying down to my all-in to 810 chips when they already had 600 in the big blind, hilarious!
Old 07-19-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have position, I'd raise to between 75-100 at that point, no one folds for 50.

If it's checked to you on the flop at that point, I'd fire out 1/2 to 3/4 of the current pot. If I get called, I'll likely slow down.

With him calling with 7/4 sooted out of position, you know he's a donk, especially going all-in against you. He doesn't read you for A/K at all, he just sees "wow, I hit my 4, I've got a pair, I ain't folding now!"

This is how many of them think, which can be great for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it surprise you to run into donks at this level? This is what you should expect. So, value bet your made hands as opposed to bluffing with ace high. (No, I'm not calling AK strictly a drawing hand, but it has much more value with high blinds than with low blinds.) Your line, raising to 75-100, continuation betting with 1/2 to 3/4 pot flop bet, is not necessarily bad in general, but why do this against donks? So often, it just amounts to chip spewing, especially if you try this against more than one opponent. If their play is this bad here, imagine what you can do if you get to the bubble with FE. Or if you get a made hand and can value bet against them. I just don't like making big pots and bluffing bad players with ace high. It's so unnecessary.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:59 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is how many of them think, which can be great for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it surprise you to run into donks at this level? This is what you should expect. So, value bet your made hands as opposed to bluffing with ace high. (No, I'm not calling AK strictly a drawing hand, but it has much more value with high blinds than with low blinds.) Your line, raising to 75-100, continuation betting with 1/2 to 3/4 pot flop bet, is not necessarily bad in general, but why do this against donks? So often, it just amounts to chip spewing, especially if you try this against more than one opponent. If their play is this bad here, imagine what you can do if you get to the bubble with FE. Or if you get a made hand and can value bet against them. I just don't like making big pots and bluffing bad players with ace high. It's so unnecessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem here is that we don't know he's a bad player. We can assume most of our opponents will be bad players. Perhaps not THIS bad, but bad in general.

I stand by my position. Let's say you start with 800 chips and blinds at 10/15.

You raise to 75 and get the two callers. You have 725 left and the pot is 225.

It's checked to you on the flop, fire out a bet of 125, leaving you with 600 chips. You may pick up the pot right here, as both opponents have checked and not shown any strength.

Now the small blind calls. The pot is now 475 and you have 600 chips remaining. The turn doesn't help either of you, he checks, you check and take the free card off. He could have A/Q for all you know, or J/Q or whatever. It will probably get checked on the river and you'll see the bad news but still have 600 chips left and be in good shape to continue. And you'll have some valuable information on this opponent.