Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: What\'s your river move?

This is like a no brainer check/raise dude. If he has 3 queens he will probably just call on the river, but he will clearly bet if you check to him. If he happens to have a big flush he will probably 3-bet ye check/raise. Holla

Brad
Old 07-17-2005, 11:52 PM

I like betting here. If you check raise, you're less likely to get raised again, thus ending action.

From a game theory standpoint, you should just about never bet here. You should probably only bet against someone who chooses his action randomly. Against a very good player, betting is suicide in this spot since only the nut flush or better will raise.

If you look at the way this hand went down...what could we have when we bet the river that beats trips (and not a bluff). There is just about no way that we have a queen in this spot. Are we really going to play someting like AA or KK this way? No.

When we bet the river, all we can really have is a flush (and probably a big one) or nines full or a very ill advised bluff. So when we bet the river, the villian pretty much has to ralph and call with QJ or whatever since it will just about never be good. If he was really good and had great reads on everyone, he should actually insta muck trips in this spot (this opens up an entire different can of worms, namely that we should bet AA on the end but it is not likely that we have that hand when we don't 3bet the flop). With the super calling station behind us, there is about a 0% chance that we are bluffing and any real hand that we are betting beats trips.

Brad
Old 07-17-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is like a no brainer check/raise dude. If he has 3 queens he will probably just call on the river, but he will clearly bet if you check to him. If he happens to have a big flush he will probably 3-bet ye check/raise. Holla

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Shill,

Against a player who "likes to raise" and another who "likes to call," I think you'll get to bet-3bet a lot by betting here, and in the great situations, the LP who was on a flush draw will raise, allowing you to go bet-call-raise-3bet-call-cap, etc.

A check-raise isn't a no-brainer against these guys.

Rob
Old 07-18-2005, 08:36 AM

TURN: I would much rather bet out and fold to a raise.

RIVER: The way the hand played out, check-raise.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:22 AM

Here's to hoping Button was on the diamond flush draw.

C/R. UTG bets out with his trip queens. Button will call. You can raise. Maybe UTG will 3-bet allowing you to cap.

PS - Unless you're read of UTG translates to "Likes to bet/raise with nothing, aka bluff", I fold the turn.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:02 AM

(grunching)

[ QUOTE ]

PS - Unless you're read of UTG translates to "Likes to bet/raise with nothing, aka bluff", I fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I am thinking. If this is wrong, can someone explain why?
After checking the turn you are either against a trip of Q or a flush draw . I can only see 2 outs. Why is it a good thing to call ?
Old 07-18-2005, 10:24 AM

I'd check raise, given your reads UTG is likely to bet and get called before you raise, I think you may get 2 bets out of each of them this way.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:41 AM

I don't like the turn call. UTG probably has a Q and you are very far beind with only the 2 outs for your boat. I'd bet out and fold to a raise.

Given your reads, I'd be very tempted to go for a check-raise on the river. To make that play right though, you have to be very sure that the button is going to call UTG's bet so you can trap for extra bets. If you think he's going to fold, go ahead and lead out. It's a little bit of a donk-bet, but if UTG won't slow down, it's probably right.