Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 10:06 AM

Default biggest leaks in NL?

Ed Millars advice in SSHE really had a huge impact on my winrate at limit play. The two "big" leaks of folding too much in big pots with hands with some winning potential and failing to protect my hand in large pots, were both present in my limit game.

I have no doubt my natural (learned?) tendancies to fold a hand if I think i'm beat, and to shut down when a 'good but not great' hand is shown moderate aggresion have similar winrate reducing effects in NL. (I'm weak tight [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

I'm feeling a bit stuck in my develpment in NL and wondered what the general thoughts are on the most common big leaks and errors that NL players make. I ask because I've folded the winning hand several times in my last few sessions and have seen the phrase 'results orientated' tossed around this forum and figure I'm probably guilty.

Cheers
Old 07-17-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: biggest leaks in NL?

Well if your folding winners, i'd say your reading ability needs to be improved. As far as 'leaks' go, the most common one I see is people geting married to pairs, although sometimes going to the felt with a pair is very much +EV, all depends upon who your playing the pot against.

My advice; try differentiating the stupid LAG's from people that do not push without a made hand.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:50 PM

From my perspective, this is a huge difference between limit and NL. If you're not laying down the winner occasionally in NL, you're probably calling too much. It's not a big deal when it's only one big bet (in limit). It's a much bigger deal when it's your entire stack you're calling with, say, top pair third kicker.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:00 PM

Tilt. I think the nature of NL makes some degree of tilt inevitable for all but the most level headed of players. Due to the larger bet sizes in a NL game this can be quite expensive. The whole 'one bad call leads to another...' is magnified in NL to the point where even a short tilt can have very noticable effects on one's BR. JMO
Old 07-17-2005, 05:02 PM

Getting married to overcards is a good one. Often at low levels peoples bets are weak enough to make calling with two strong overcards a good bet but equally often people convince themseleves the call is justified when it really isn't. You need to factor in the probability that hitting your high pair won't make a hand good enough to win the pot.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:09 PM

Overplaying top pair
Old 07-17-2005, 07:27 PM

How about people calling with draws without proper odds.

And probably the biggest consistant losers.... KICKER TROUBLE.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:32 PM

I think the biggest leak in NL is calling too much, just like in limit. If you're calling, it ought to be to set a guy up for a play on a later street, not because you aren't sure where you're at. A lot of people call marginal hands (TPNK, bottom two on scary boards, etc.) because they don't know if they're ahead or not and don't want to commit a lot of chips to find out. If you fold every time you're sure you can't raise, I don't think you'd be giving up much.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:21 PM

I'd say "not integrating your game" as per ciaffone is probably the biggest leak in almost every poster's game in SSNL (mine included).

fim
Old 07-17-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say "not integrating your game" as per ciaffone is probably the biggest leak in almost every poster's game in SSNL (mine included).

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

Fim,

Im not familiar with the quote, can you elaborate?