Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Wirless Router

[ QUOTE ]
Try changing the wireless channel number, in settings somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this four times, and the fourth time it seemed to work. After spending some time on the phone with my modem tech guy, we first re inputed all of the settings for both computers, disabled the anti-virus and firewall, changed the channel, and then tried again.

According to him, the reason for the disconnects has something to do with interference on the line. Either high tension power lines, a microwave oven, cordless phones, or any appliance giving off radiation. I told him that none of that applied to me except for the microwave, which was 30 feet away from the modem.

He said that of the eleven possible channels at least one should give me a good continuous stream--it's just a matter of finding it. I started with channel 9, then 1, then 6 and finally 11. I had no disconnects last night on channel 11 with four games up and three or four web pages open. Apparently the higher numbered channels are the stronger ones, but I'm not positive about that.

Of course, this may only be temporary, but hopefully it will solve the problem. The connection stream isn't steady, it fluctuates between 1 and 24 Mbps, but previously I always got disconnected within ten minutes of getting into a game. My upload/download speeds seem to be higher and more consistent also. Last night there were no disconnects at all.

He also said that if this channel doesn't work that I should try each and every channel until I find one that does. If none are satisfactory then call back and they can go from there and try a few other things.

We'll see what happens.