Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 11:07 AM

Default This hand is a mess. Please fix it. (6max underpair)

Don't play much 6max, as you can probably tell:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Button ($297.60)
SB ($15.24)
Hero ($137.70)
UTG ($350.80)
MP ($94.25)
CO ($0)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $3</font>, SB (poster) calls $2.50, Hero calls $2, MP calls $2.

Flop: ($12) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $10</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $10, MP folds.

Turn: ($32) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($32) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>

Villain is selectively aggressive and a fairly good player. He frequently raises on the button and it's always $3, continuation bets are common. The turn check has me sensing weakness, he usually bets a hand.

Should I raise/fold the flop?
Bet the turn?
Not bet the river?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: This hand is a mess. Please fix it. (6max underpair)

I don't think you're in position to be playing TT against this guy like this. What's your plan when he leads the turn for $20-25? Are you going to call w/ TT?

That J on the river isn't a a good card either - if he has AJ - do you think he'll fold to your river lead after you checked the turn?

If you had position this may have been a worthwhile play on the flop, but otherwise I think you're getting yourself into trouble.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:01 PM

Don't bet the river. You will only fold out hands you are beating, and will only be called if you are beaten.

-T
Old 07-17-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't bet the river. You will only fold out hands you are beating, and will only be called if you are beaten.

-T

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you giving up on the hand then if villian bets at you again?
Old 07-17-2005, 01:11 PM

Lead the turn.

Ch/call the river as played if you really think you're best and have a good knowledge of the villian (what bet size his bluffs are/what size his VBs are). vs an unknown I actually like a River lead. I like it on the turn even more.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:15 PM

Depends on the player, and past hands with him/her, but I might call this down here for a reasonable price.

-T
Old 07-17-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lead the turn.

Ch/call the river as played if you really think you're best and have a good knowledge of the villian (what bet size his bluffs are/what size his VBs are). vs an unknown I actually like a River lead. I like it on the turn even more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn lead is a very nice line with this one.

-T
Old 07-17-2005, 04:36 PM

I agree. This is a fairly innocent flop. Check/call flop to pick off some bluff money, and then bet the turn. A 20$ bet should do nicely.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:02 PM

All of these replies, but am I the only person that re-raises preflop here? If we know the villain will raise a variety of hands on the button, why not re-pop him here and find out what's going on? Re-raise to $10 or $12 and fire out about 60-75% of the pot no matter what flops. That's my line.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:13 PM

Reraising preflop is definitely a viable option. I don't really like reraising with a hand like TT out of position, but I think that's more a matter of personal taste.