Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Re: What would you do?

Baron,
I think from your suggestions in this thread I don't think you know that EP 2+2'er open raised. If he limped and the other's called behind and it was only one to you I think you have some solid suggestions.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:37 AM

i would call with almost any suited connector, 43s+, 64s+, 69s+, any pair, hands like QJ/JT. this pot is going to be effing huge and i like big pots. obviously broadway hands needed to be played with caution but the pot is likely to be 6-7 handed and you have position. that rules.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:42 AM

Wait a minute, are you talking about just raising after they've limped or 3-betting?
Old 07-17-2005, 07:50 AM

The exact limit does have a slight effect on my range here, as does the postflop play of the coldcallers, but generally speaking I'm calling with any suited connectors up to 2-gappers, any unsuited connector T9 or higher, any suited ace or king, and any pocket pair. I'm 3-betting with AK-AQs and AA-TT.

The thinking behind 3-betting any pocket pair intrigues me, and I do see the logic. With our position relative to the PFR, it's advantageous to build a big enough pot preflop that the loosies will feel justified calling 2 cold on the flop with overcards or a gutshot or something (assuming any of them wouldn't anyway) if we flop our set and he 3-bets our raise. The loose blinds make it even sweeter, as you could potentially end up with pot odds to justify calling a single bet on the flop to try and turn your 2-outer. Of course, the flip side is that if you build a big enough pot, you make it correct for all sorts of draws to come right with you and potentially beat your set. Something I'll have to think more about when I'm not coming off 8 hours of 6max play. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2005, 09:19 AM

I would raise any PP and any suited connector down to 54s. In addition I would raise AKs to A-8s, KQs to K9s, QJs-QTs, AKo to AQo and KQo

I would call with suited one gappers from J9 to 86s.

Fold the rest.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:47 AM

I reraise with AA KK QQ JJ 1010 AK AKs AQs AJs and cold call with any PP 22-99, A10s KQs KJs K10s QJs Q10s J10s

I'm folding AQ AJ and KQ
Old 07-17-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I re-raise just about any pocket pair. Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

With small to medium pocket pairs in this situation, I don't think you can either (a) get a free look at the turn or (b) win unimproved often enough to offset the extra 1-2 SBs (since UTG or someone else might cap) that you pay PF (and which hurts your implied odds) and knocking out the blinds (who you would otherwise prefer to stay in if it is going to take a set to win, which is likely the case). For those reasons I just call with those hands.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I reraise with AA KK QQ JJ 1010 AK AKs AQs AJs and cold call with any PP 22-99, A10s KQs KJs K10s QJs Q10s J10s

I'm folding AQ AJ and KQ

[/ QUOTE ]

Might not raise with JJ and TT, I would add the suited connectors down to 56.

I like the folding AQ, AJ, KQ off, Is this standard?
Old 07-17-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I re-raise just about any pocket pair. Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Toss: Raising from the button here is important for a few reasons. One, you are getting around 4:1 on your raise, sometimes 5:1 if both blinds call. This isn't exactly enough to flop a set, but when you raise, people often check to you on the button and if you miss with 22 you can just check it down and lose 1BB if you miss on the turn. Also, you are building a big pot so that people are more likely to chase their overcards/inside/backdoor draws to try to take down the huge pot.

I don't know the exact odds of hitting a set by the turn, but my guess is it's about 6:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you're trying to go for a free card preflop here, which seems counterproductive to me, for a few reasons:

1) Instead of paying 2SB to see 3 cards, you're paying 3SB to see 4. That's 50% more money for 33% more card. It hardly seems "free" since the bet size doesn't increase from preflop-flop.

2) If you wanted to do this, couldn't you just CC preflop and then call the PFR's bet on the flop if you have the odds to? Then you ensure you are getting the odds to call, and you don't waste your money if a CCer hits and goes nuts on the flop.

3) You open yourself up to a PF cap while your pot equity is sufficiently low to make it -EV.

I can see the merit in building a big pot, but if we're going to 2 bets 5 handed it's already going to be a big enough pot for most people who CC in MP to chase. And it seems -EV to build a big pot for the 1 time in 7 that you hit, because 6 times out of 7 you'd just pay 1 (sometimes 2) more bets to draw. Isn't that alot of value to make up just from people chasing more in a bigger pot?

Any thoughts?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Baron,
I think from your suggestions in this thread I don't think you know that EP 2+2'er open raised. If he limped and the other's called behind and it was only one to you I think you have some solid suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL. My bad. I'll go back to 1st grade and learn how to read.