Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 04:47 AM

Default two pair vs turn c/r

all right ive been lurking for a long time so its time to post a hand. Im playing 2-5 NL shortly after busting out of the main event. Villian has been aggressive and we have been in some big confrontations. I have made big moves against villian on later streets. I have seen villian c/r the flop with draws on two previous hands (Once he missed and checked the turn, once he hit and bet the turn). He has both led or c/r with sets, 2 pair and TPTK. Both of us are playing LAG, pushing people around and running well.

Villian has about $1700. I have him covered.
blinds 2-5
straddle to 10
UTG raises to 20 (means nothing)
2 callers including villain on my right
hero calls on button w/ Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
straddler calls. 5 to flop:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

check to hero bets $70 into $100 pot
3 folds. villian c/r to 200. Hero calls
turn T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
villian checks. I bet $250.
Villain c/r all-in for 1500 or so
hero ?

comments and criticism please.
I'm primarily a tournament player but I'm getting into more deep stacked NL play. This betting pattern has me confused. I have some more thoughts on his hand range but I'll hold back for now.
thanks!
Old 07-17-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: two pair vs turn c/r

I would fold on the flop, despite your description of the villian. You're behind to every (non-semi bluffing) hand.

I think you have to fold turn aswell. You can only beat a bluff again.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:50 PM

I think you need to check the turn, as you can see your hand cant stand any heat on that turn, you may be blown out by a draw or might pay off a set/straight/two pair
Old 07-19-2005, 10:19 PM

I am definately checking the turn. While the T improved your hand, it completes many other draws. The way things played out, without a very good read on the player who raised, I am folding without much thought.

ChewyMint
Old 07-20-2005, 03:41 AM

nice post, common & overlooked situation for me.

with the luxury of seeing his c/r on turn i think it may have been best to check turn and exercise pot control and not fatten the pot up. you emphasize that he loves to c/r, and with 2 diamonds, and 3 coordinated cards out there i would not enjoy the prospects of a c/r from villain with the range of cards he'll play with.

that being said, if you have him covered and he respects your play i don't see him pushing 1500 stack into 750 pot without AKo. i'd lay this one down b/c even when somebody is making a play at me i'd need to have a great read to call his all-in with only two pair when even JJ/TT/22/KQ is a possibility for him, not to mention the slight chance of 89 or K9. at best you beat a bluff or AQ, but to me calling with two pair there is just not good even if there's a moderate chance he's making a play against you for a pot that's half his stack size.

question: what was your 1/2 pot bet on turn designed to do? did you want to see where you stood? was it a value bet? you obviously were not committed to calling a push when you made the bet, so i'd think you'd fold to his push if this was such a big decision... i'd like to hear your reasoning.

peace.