Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 09:38 PM

Default from winning player, to losing player

So after a year or so of playing, I managed to make over $4000 from low limit games, tournaments, and SNGs up to the $33s. My logs show a steady and positive grow rate of my bankroll, from many small wins.

However, since I withdrew and spent so much of my bankroll, I only had $1100 left at one point. Then a losing "streak" started.

SNGs were beat after beat (at least 25 buyins lost). I tilted about 200 in cash games, and I'm left with a measly few hundred for a bankroll. Obviously, i'm supposed to be playing .50-1 limit and 25 NL, but I have lost all my patience and confidence for these games.

You guys probably read posts all the time about some donk who put in $75 and turned it into $20k in a month from luck, then cries about losing it all back. That isn't me.

It just seems like the combination of losses destroyed my confidence for the game, and winning thought process.

Is there anything you guys can say to help me get back into the game, from basically ground zero?
Old 07-16-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Re: from winning player, to losing player

Just focus on playing solid poker and the results will eventually turn positive.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:55 PM

Your used to higher stake games but don't have the bankroll for them. I'm in the same boat as you. All you need is patience. I took $50 and turned it into $420 and believe me 5NL is not fun.(nor is 10NL) I'd rather walk around town with a "kick me" sign on my crotch then battle for .40 cents pots all day.
But do it! you can make ok money if you play a couple tables and play for long periods of time.
Don't jump back to the high stake games under funded, just grit your teeth and play the penny games till you have more cash.
I'm hoping to be at 50NL by months end.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:59 PM

yea I know I could probably camp for AA and sets all day long at 25 NL, but I'm going to have to get my head straight and my patience back.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just focus on playing solid poker and the results will eventually turn positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you know?
Old 07-16-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good poker players win in the long run.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:18 PM

I would take a different approach, first stop playing for a week or two weeks depending, then spend some time reading poker books new or old just to refresh yourself on anything you may have forgotten and to reinforce the correct plays to hopeful help your confidence. Then possibly think about playing limit instead of nl, nl swings are tough, but a tight aggressive game will dominate in $1/2 or $2/4 limit and will help to build your bankroll and confidence. Good Luck
Old 07-17-2005, 12:19 AM

define "long run"
Old 07-17-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything you guys can say to help me get back into the game, from basically ground zero?

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, yeah... stop spending 3/4 your bank roll.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:20 AM

Have you exhausted all of your bonus whoring opportunities? This is a great way to get your BR up. You'll have to play in small games, of course, but too bad. You made the BIGGEST mistake a poker player can make. You ate your seedcorn. You simply can't spend that much of your BR and expect everything to be ok. You have to rebuild, slowly and patiently. If you try to rush, you'll go broke...take it from a guy thats been there.

lf