Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: where to go from here, want to improve [long post]

I was playing out of my limit but I enjoyed the action and I wasn't losing for a while. The NL 25 tables are such a grind because I feel like I'm never paid off for playing well and I think people also chase crappy hands because it is cheap to do so. I downloaded a free program that gives me odds of hitting hands and I played with that which helped me figure out pot odds--a theory I am still trying to completely understand.

I'll check into those books and I'll continue to read the forums. If I am to switch to limit, how do you guys all seem to make money and not really gamble? I know you guys make good reads and things, and I know you all have a knowledge of variance and other more complex components about the game.

What I would ultimately like is to be good and consistent enough to make this a summer job and earn additional income out of it. I'm not talking crazy numbers, but making $3000-4000 in a summer and a couple hundred a month during school by messing around. I know most of you are good enough to do that, so it would be helpful to hear how you did it.

Also, are there any free--and legal--tools that I can download to help track my hands played, in terms of how much money I've made at each level as well as how many hands I've played?

Thanks for your feedback, I came to you guys cause I know I'm talking with some of the best.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing out of my limit but I enjoyed the action and I wasn't losing for a while. The NL 25 tables are such a grind because I feel like I'm never paid off for playing well and I think people also chase crappy hands because it is cheap to do so. I downloaded a free program that gives me odds of hitting hands and I played with that which helped me figure out pot odds--a theory I am still trying to completely understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you dont' FULLY, 100%, understand pot odds. You're a fish. You cannot be a winning player, period.

You play NL? How the hell do you win if you don't get pot odds? Lol not to mention NL is about implied odds more so.

[ QUOTE ]

I'll check into those books and I'll continue to read the forums. If I am to switch to limit, how do you guys all seem to make money and not really gamble?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the books, forget these forums until the end of the summer for sure. Nothing here is going to help you, only confuse you and have you make stupid money-losing decisions.

[ QUOTE ]

What I would ultimately like is to be good and consistent enough to make this a summer job and earn additional income out of it. I'm not talking crazy numbers, but making $3000-4000 in a summer and a couple hundred a month during school by messing around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not going to happen. It'll take you at least a month to get to 500$ starting from .5/1. Then another two or three months to get to 1500$ in 1/2 short handed. Then another 3-never months to get from 2/4 or 3/6 to 5/10.

Only at 5/10 do you really start making money that makes poker a worthwhile investment. If you don't get there, you'll be stuck making MAYBE 15-30$/hour and then when the games toughen up and they will (if they haven't already), you'll make 15$/hour. Which is a grind that's simply not worth it.

[ QUOTE ]

I know most of you are good enough to do that, so it would be helpful to hear how you did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

See steps listed above. GIve yourself 5-never months without taking out a penny and playing on day to day basis, then you'll start reaping the rewards.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, are there any free--and legal--tools that I can download to help track my hands played, in terms of how much money I've made at each level as well as how many hands I've played?

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget all this. See steps in previous post. The program you're talking about is called Pokertracker. It won't be needed until you reach 1/2 shorthanded.

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your feedback, I came to you guys cause I know I'm talking with some of the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come back when you've read both books, and are playng 2/4. That'll be in more than at least 2 months [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:54 AM

Try the pokerroom 0.25/0.50 limit ring games - they are some of the softest I've ever seen.

Read Lee Jones' book or, better, Small Stakes Hold'Em by Ed Miller, and then the Sklansky books, and whatever else from 2+2 you can get your hands on...

you can start with $50 or $100 in the 0.25/0.50 and build your bankroll, once you hit $500 start bonus whoring(deposit into different party skins, make sure to get an affiliate - check the classifieds on these boards), play the 0.50/1.00 at party skins and you'll be at $1000 within a few weeks, whoring literally doubles one's bankroll early on.

Go camp out in the microlimits forums, read hands, post hands, respond to others hands. You'll learn. Soon the 0.50/1.00 will be cake and you'll be climbing the limits with your bonus-augmented bankroll.

Good luck. It takes hard work, but it's a helluva lot of fun. You can do it.

Surf