Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Raising preflop and protecting your hand on the flop.

I had KK in the big blind, raised prelop. 5 callers. Flop comes Qh 8h 3c. I was first to act. I could have bet, but with a possible flush on the board and against so many opponents, I figured I wouldn't be able to protect my hand. The person acting behind me would be getting good enough odds to call with just about anything, and so would everyone else. I checked, hoping for maybe a check raise, although I'm thinking that would have done little good with the pot so big. In any case, everyone checked. The next card is a 3d. I bet right out, and of course I get raised. The pot is of decent size, so I go ahead and call, and then check call on the river. He ended up having a T3.

What I'm getting at here is, does anyone not raise preflop because it puts them in a situation of being unable to protect their hand on the flop? If I didn't raise, there would have only been 6 small bets in the pot rather than 12, which may have allowed me to bet right out and at least protect my hand a little bit on the flop. Certainly the person with bottom pair would have considered folding, possibly saving my kings and winning me money.

I could use some much needed advice.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Raising preflop and protecting your hand on the flop.

No. You raise preflop for value then you bet the flop for value. Every time.

If he's gonna play T3 to a raise he's gonna play it for one bet on the flop regardless of preflop action.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:24 PM

I think you made a big mistake by checking this flop. Avoid giving free cards when it could break your hand. You're the preflop raiser so bet that flop for value.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:50 PM

Hmm, I see. I take it this advice should be followed even when I flop trips with a possible flush draw on the board? ie; A hand I just had; I hold KJ flop comes Js Jd 8s. I'm last to act, everyone checks to me, pot is 4 small bets. Should I check to evaluate my position on the turn (ie; no flush card or flush card comes and everyone still checks), or should I bet right out and evaluate where I stand (ie; flop checker now bets on the turn) if the flush hits?
Old 07-15-2005, 05:52 PM

No. You bet again here. The only time you WOULDN'T bet imo is if there is no real draw on the board, and then you can trap everyone for multiple bets on the turn.

Get value in while you are a favorite.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:53 PM

not having the position to protect your hand sucks, but you have to bet/raise/reraise for value.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Don't go for a check-raise if you were the last raiser preflop -- it hardly ever works out
2) Sometimes, you can't protect your hand by giving improper odds.
3) Betting with the best hand and getting called in a bunch of places is better than checking with the best hand and seeing the flop get checked through.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Don't go for a check-raise if you were the last raiser preflop -- it hardly ever works out
2) Sometimes, you can't protect your hand by giving improper odds.
3) Betting with the best hand and getting called in a bunch of places is better than checking with the best hand and seeing the flop get checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are definitely some words of wisdom. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:31 PM

You'll face the overpair-vs-flush-draw situation in limit quite often. So realize this: NO ONE is ever going to fold a flush draw in limit. And they shouldn't--you'll get odds to call 90% of the time.

So pump this mofo for value every time. If you were reraised and are quite sure you can pull off a C/R, go for it. Otherwise, bet this every time.