Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Best poker book

Theory Of Poker should ALWAYS be the first book for a semi-beginner. Then when you decide what game(s) you want to play, go to the books forum to see what to read for specific games.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Theory Of Poker should ALWAYS be the first book for a semi-beginner. Then when you decide what game(s) you want to play, go to the books forum to see what to read for specific games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but I doubt there are too many beginners who want to learn anything besides hold em. Theory of poker is not a good book for a beginner IMHO.

Winning low limit hold em
Getting started in hold em
Small stakes hold em

are all great books for beginners.

Winning low limit hold em in particular is a good book for beginners. It gives reasonable starting hand requirements and will not result in as much variance in your play seeing as it is generally weak tight advice.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but I doubt there are too many beginners who want to learn anything besides hold em. Theory of poker is not a good book for a beginner IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree, however I don't think it's the first book a beginner should read either. It's a good 2nd or 3rd book, but probably closer to 3rd. If a completely inexperienced beginner tries to read ToP first, it will likely go right over their head.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:11 AM

you should try Gary Carsons book on hold em first its very simple and easy to understand
Old 07-15-2005, 10:36 AM

He says semi-beginner so im guessing that means about 1-2 months of playing poker.
Ive been playing for about 2 months now and The theory of poker was deffinately my favourite and most useful read, I also read SSHE and its damn good but theory of poker is even better.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:40 AM

This is probably not what you are looking for, but if you want a good read about a young poker player, pick up THE MAKING OF A POKER PLAYER by Matt Matros.

Just finished it today.
Great read.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:53 AM

lee jones (low limit holdem) to matt hilgers (winning at internet poker) to dan harringtons books to slanksys
Old 07-15-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Suggested Progression

1. Getting started in Hold 'Em
2. Theory of Poker
3. Small Stakes Hold 'Em
4. Theory of Poker
5. Small Stakes Hold 'Em
6. Theory of.. (You get the idea

Eventually read Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players when you start thinking about moving into tougher games. I am lead to believe that King Yao's book is very good, but I haven't read it yet, myself.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Suggested Progression

[ QUOTE ]
Eventually read Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players when you start thinking about moving into tougher games. I am lead to believe that King Yao's book is very good, but I haven't read it yet, myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Yao's book should be read before HPFAP, especially for an online player. Some of the concepts in HPFAP don't really apply to the type of game that you normally see online now.