Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 11:35 AM

Default How does everyone recover from tilt?

I mentioned in another post. I don't have the hand history, it went like this:

5th:
(QH QC) QS QD JS
(XX XX) 6S 7S 10S

All you need to know was that betting was capped the rest of the way. I was holding the JS and QS so as long as he isn't holding 8S 9S I am okay, holding those cards would mean he would have had to hit perfectly for a straight flush on 5th. Well, he was holding those cards, and he did hit perfectly on 5th.

Anyways, I've tilted away quite a bit of $$$ since then. I'm reviewing my play, and I don't think there is a problem with my hand selection or anything. Emotions just getting the best of me.

That hand was probably the worst beat I've ever taken in poker (I'm 20 now, been playing about 8 years).

So, the question is, how do you guys recover from beats like this?
Old 07-15-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: How does everyone recover from tilt?

I have been taking a break for about 2 weeks now from playing and I feel completely refreshed, I will probably start playing again monday.

I recommend everyone take some time, not necissarly 2 weeks, but at least a couple days off from time to time.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:44 AM

Grow up and adopt a professional attitude (not trying to be harsh, but that's the truth). Bad beats happen (not trying to best you, but I was playing in a high limit hold em game two days ago, rivered the nut flush only to lose to a straight flush...I lost about 1400 on the hand) and if you steam after them, you lose. Simply play every hand to maximize expectations...control what you can control. The cards will fall how they fall on any given hand.

Jeff
Old 07-15-2005, 12:05 PM

Even the best players tilt from time to time, so keep in mind you are not alone... Some people tilt differently than others. I find I am incapable of making good folds when I'm running bad, but still play the same starting requirements.

I think the best way to avoid tilt, or atleast lessen the effects, is to simply improve your understanding of the game. When you have a great understanding, it's hard, if not impossible for you to deviate from what is "correct".
Old 07-15-2005, 12:09 PM

As a side note, you probably shouldn't have been capping this like crazy. There are other things to consider in a poker hand other than what you have.

In this hand, you say "I can't beat your flush" he raises back "I don't believe you" you raise back, "no really, I already have a boat" he raises back "oh really, I don't care," etc... u get the point right?

Sure, you feel like a wimp, but if someone is betting and raising you, and your hand is obvious, and his appears obvious, you need to consider other possibilities for what they might have.

Poker isn't about steady profits. Its about big swings.

Sorry you lost with quads.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grow up and adopt a professional attitude (not trying to be harsh, but that's the truth). Bad beats happen (not trying to best you, but I was playing in a high limit hold em game two days ago, rivered the nut flush only to lose to a straight flush...I lost about 1400 on the hand) and if you steam after them, you lose. Simply play every hand to maximize expectations...control what you can control. The cards will fall how they fall on any given hand.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. For clarification, It's not like I'm currently at the tables screaming my head off, I'm cool about it, but I just wonder if I'm playing my best poker. All I'm asking is how everyone goes about making sure they play their best poker after beats like this.

And financial aspects aside, my bad beat story is worse. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As a side note, you probably shouldn't have been capping this like crazy. There are other things to consider in a poker hand other than what you have.

In this hand, you say "I can't beat your flush" he raises back "I don't believe you" you raise back, "no really, I already have a boat" he raises back "oh really, I don't care," etc... u get the point right?

Sure, you feel like a wimp, but if someone is betting and raising you, and your hand is obvious, and his appears obvious, you need to consider other possibilities for what they might have.

Poker isn't about steady profits. Its about big swings.

Sorry you lost with quads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that brings up another interesting point. Should I have known I was beat? Does a better player lay down quads there?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:15 PM

I rivered quad jacks against an old rock in a live 5-10 game awhile back, got in a c/r against what looked like his flush, he three bet and I'm thinking hmmm "full house" as I four bet when he five bets I knew I was beat. he showed me the 3-7 sf he had in five cards.

It's really no big deal losing hands like this, although it doesn't happen often. The simplest way to avoid tilt is to concentrate on making good decisions at all times, not on winning (or losing) pots.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does a better player lay down quads there?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!!! You just pray there's a fifth queen or a joker in the deck!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:19 PM

One thing I do is quit playing if I see I made a terrible fold/got bluffed out of a big pot. I KNOW I'm not going to be able to think str8 after all of that.