Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Barry G\'s books....

At least what a serious moderator should do is to lock this thread. Why? Because you could write your one sentence in another topic, no need to create a new one. Don't you agree that your "review" is not really a review? You had one thought about the book and there is no need to open the fifth topic about it just for posting one thought.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ted Forrest "I seem to win whenever i read it" =
Thats some stupid sht coming from a winning player.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps because the book is geared toward helping someone who plays/thinks like Ted Forrest and not as much toward Arod15.

Believe it or not, not every poker book in the world is written with you in mind.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps because the book is geared toward helping someone who plays/thinks like Ted Forrest and not as much toward Arod15.

Believe it or not, not every poker book in the world is written with you in mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, I don't think Mr. Forrest was talking about the content of the book helping him. I think he meant exactly what he said. It struck me as sort of a silly comment, too.

Still, that doesn't really speak to the content of Greenstein's book, which is better than the OP described.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus the other thread is to dam long. I want people to read this so they now right away the book is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the review. Seriously. I was considering buying this book but after seeing someone in WPT slam and then coming here and seeing your review it seems like the book must be pretty bad.

On a side note, what's up with all the thread nazis? The other thread I saw on the book was some cotton-candy "review" by Mason that was next to worthless. At least your review was direct and to the point. It's too bad most of the rest of this thread is filled with crap posts about how much valuable Internet real estate this thread is taking up instead of more commentary on the book.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:37 PM

I don't think you can call that a review.
Well, maybe you can.

Unless you and the OP are the same person, it's difficult to see how you could take him seriously. Even boondoggle's negative review of Greenstein's book has a lot more to say than the 'review' you are talking about. If you're interested in a better negative review of the book, I highly suggest you check it out.

[ QUOTE ]
after seeing someone in WPT slam

[/ QUOTE ]

There's not a whole lot I can say about that.
It speaks for itself.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we see dozens of same topics all over the place (how many topics about best books for xy are we going to see?),

[/ QUOTE ]

Once a poster gets tired of seeing the same posts over and over again, I would think that it's time for that poster to give up frequently searching the books section of this board.

I would estimate that no more than 20 or so books are roundly acclaimed as being worth buying on this board. Once one knows what they are (2+2, King Yao, Roy Cooke, Ciaffone (with a caveat for MLH) all that's left to do is debate is whether or not Greenstein's book is good or not or how good the limit hold em section of SS2 is.

If a board gets boring to a poster it's because they've mastered the info on it and need to move on.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all that's left to do is debate is whether or not Greenstein's book is good or not or how good the limit hold em section of SS2 is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but why should it be so wrong to expect for that discussion to take place inside an existing thread, especially when there are already many other threads devoted to the topic?

I don't think it's too much to ask.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:35 PM

Fair enough, I've just been wanting to make the point for some time that those who complain about repeated posts are those who really don't have any more to learn on this board including myself.

Once my copy of Greenstein's book arrives I'll sit out this board for a few months. By then maybe a new book will have come out.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you and the OP are the same person

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I guess you might be closer to the truth than you think.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:04 AM

Well, I don't agree. I can find interesting threads/posts here all the time. It's not only about which book is the best. You can talk about a particular hand from that book, give some other view on the book or something else.
I didn't say I was bored, where did you read that?! Multiple threads with "BOOK SUUUUCKSSSSS!" or "BEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!" posts from the original poster bother me, because I loose valuable time reading them. For instance this topic - how much time have I already spent for it? And for what? If the OP would have done the right thing (wrote a post in ONE of the existing topics)... hmm... I would have spent only 2 seconds to read the "review" and then move on. Do you think I would reply to it? Yeah, right.