Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 02:26 AM

Default calling a raise in bb with 2 suited cards, correct odds?

what kind of odds do i need to make this call correct? obviously all suited cards aren't created equally, i'll be much more liberal with a QJs than a 94s. when i'm getting 4-1 i've been taking the flop with any two suited cards and i'm wondering if you think this is too loose, or perhaps not loose enough.

i play 5/10 limit holdem.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Re: calling a raise in bb with 2 suited cards, correct odds?

not sure how u get 4-1 but read this post by peter_rus.

defending BB
Old 07-14-2005, 11:30 AM

i'd have to say that's a reasonable call... i mean you just need a 20 percent chance of winning the hand with such odds and three handed you most likely have a 20 percent chance of winning.. so i'd have to say it would be productive.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:41 PM

i'm not sure how to get 4-1 either, i guess i meant 5-1. how about with odds 7-1 or 8-1, is it good poker to call with a T4s type of holding?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:49 PM

the odds against making a flush with 2 suited card is about 19to1 so you need about 20to1 combined odds to make it profitable in an aver age game where there is a bet on every street the pot at the end will be laying you about 11to one if one player drops out in the flop and one out on fourth however the variance with suited cards is huge and they are usually marginable in these situation if they 7 and above i would fold the small suited cards here unless they were connected
Old 07-14-2005, 08:00 PM

I certainly would not be calling many raises out of the BB with this type of holding.

It might be okay if you are up against a late-position blind-stealer. but for multi-way calls it usually isn't going to be worth it.
I might change my stance on that in a 9-way pot where EVERYONE has already cold-called, already plays terribly AND I'm closing the action (so don't need to fear a re-raise).

But in a regular 3 or 4-handed raised pot with T4s in the BB I feel no inclination to try to 'hit a flop' and I just don't think it's very good poker.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the odds against making a flush with 2 suited card is about 19to1 so you need about 20to1 combined odds to make it profitable

[/ QUOTE ]

umm....you don't need a flush to win. 2 pr and trips are gonna win most of the time as well. however, against a player with normal raising standards, its not a good idea to call raises with 94s, unless a lot of people are in.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly would not be calling many raises out of the BB with this type of holding.

It might be okay if you are up against a late-position blind-stealer. but for multi-way calls it usually isn't going to be worth it.
I might change my stance on that in a 9-way pot where EVERYONE has already cold-called, already plays terribly AND I'm closing the action (so don't need to fear a re-raise).

But in a regular 3 or 4-handed raised pot with T4s in the BB I feel no inclination to try to 'hit a flop' and I just don't think it's very good poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, but need to do the math, there is definitely a number where its correct to call wtih any two suited from the BB closing the action in a raise pot, getting 9.5-1 (4 other players + SB money) is a layup, slightly smaller good also.

I think the right way to approach this is to figure your odds of a "favorable" flop - 2 pair, trips, or better, made flush or the drawing hands of 4 flush and 1 pair, then figure out your chances of winning with each of those holdings, then figure out avg win, (possibly approximate using avg pot size for that limit adjusted for the multiway action)