Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Out of Position Against an Aggro Player

Hi Jeff,

Other than your opponent being aggressive, how well did he play postflop? If he's good, you're getting raised by a bigger pocket pair on the turn, and he also actually might have a J.

Let's see... their are 32 combinations of AK and AQ, and 32 combinations of AA, KK, QQ, TT, AJ. So provided he just calls when he's behind, but he gains 2 bets when he's ahead, and you're good roughly half the time, its a check. I suppose I'm dismissing the possibility he's holding a smaller pocket pair, but if you check to him, he's sure to bet those, and that's ok with me, too.

The river didn't help your hand (other than the fact there could have been worse rivers), so I don't necessarily see any reason to come alive and bet out. Since we're still good about half the time here, I'd rather check/call in case we're behind and let a missed ace bluff the final time. Did you feel he was going to call with A high?
Old 07-14-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Out of Position Against an Aggro Player

No one lays down a good Ace high for a surprise river bet in these games (40-80 online). But he may very well check behind with it if I check. Just an interesting corrolary here. Though getting raised on the river would both suck and blow (esp. b/c you'd have to pay off - an aggro player might just say screw it and raise with AK here hoping you fold a pair). I like my turn play a lot I think, not sure about my river play.

Jeff
Old 07-14-2005, 12:23 PM

Default RESULTS

Thanks for the responses. My opponent showed 88 and my hand was good. More comments on his or my play welcome.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-14-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

88 - that is why it is ok to check the river here.
These aggro guy never check.