Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 06:53 AM

Default Re: letting aces go on the flop

i would think oppoent here is trying to blow you off your hand..i dont see him playing a set this fast..it really looks like a draw to me.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:35 AM

Flop is 2-suited - the pot has a decent amont of $$ in it - $165 or so - why wouldn't an ABC player with two opponents (including a fish) still in hand and who wanted to make flush draws pay bet $200 with a set here?

If you had a set in his position (let's say of sixes) what would you bet instead?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:57 AM

i perosnally would push...i dont see a point to betting $200, it seems like a bet he wants to try and get away from. he only started with $500 if i remeber correctly. the pot has $165..with a $200 bet, if hero calls also theres $565 in the pot giving the fish (who we assume is on a draw) alomst 3-1 on the call. lets assume fish could be holding a hand like qjh, he is a 60/40 dog here..im calling getting 3-1. even if hero folds hes getting almost 2-1..im still calling.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:10 AM

call flop, evaluate on turn- if his range here is set 65% flushdraw/str.draw 25%, bluff 10% u should push his flop reraise, but you are barely +EV (on the hand overall). Also this saves you $$ when CO has a hand. As you played it I guess i fold, but its very very close and very very ugly (you are getting almost 2-1).

-durrr
Old 07-14-2005, 11:20 AM

I do not think that calling is an option. If I call I will have only 175 left and the pot will be almost 600 so I will be comitted. As it stood I was getting about 2:1 on a push which I don't think is enough.

The SB is three-betting two players one of which has already raised twice. It should be fairly obvious that I have a big hand now and the fact that he doesnt push makes me think he is reraising for value and not to blow me off my hand.

Edit: also note that a hand like QJh is not possible since the jack on board is a heart.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not think that calling is an option. If I call I will have only 175 left and the pot will be almost 600 so I will be comitted. As it stood I was getting about 2:1 on a push which I don't think is enough.

The SB is three-betting two players one of which has already raised twice. It should be fairly obvious that I have a big hand now and the fact that he doesnt push makes me think he is reraising for value and not to blow me off my hand.

Edit: also note that a hand like QJh is not possible since the jack on board is a heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you pretty much nailed it on your own. this is an allin or fold situation. You also nailed that you screwed this hand by somewhat underraising the flop. This is the exact type of raise that will induce a reraise from a hand like AJ. All in all though I think the fold is correct against a complete unknown but very quickly becomes a call against a player with aggressive tendencies.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:12 PM

i stand corrected i thought the kh was on the flop not the jh..
Old 07-14-2005, 12:24 PM

One of the standard plays in NLHE is "check to the raiser". Better players understand that the proper play is to lead with a strong hand. This looks like pretty good play to me. SB leads, you raise to find out where you're at, and SB re-raises over the top. Sure, could be a flush draw, could be 7-2os, but probably exactly what it represents. This is exactly why you're more likely to win a small pot and lose a big one with AA.

I like your reasoning that if you call you're pot committed. If you can call you can raise.

As one poster said the fold should be your default play. Strong fold.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is exactly why you're more likely to win a small pot and lose a big one with AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I win big pots with AA and lose small ones, I guess I'm just that good.

seriously though, the 1st line is so misquoted and dumb. and yes, AA is my biggest winner in PT.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call flop, evaluate on turn- if his range here is set 65% flushdraw/str.draw 25%, bluff 10% u should push his flop reraise, but you are barely +EV (on the hand overall). Also this saves you $$ when CO has a hand. As you played it I guess i fold, but its very very close and very very ugly (you are getting almost 2-1).

-durrr

[/ QUOTE ]

calling for over half of you stack is not an option.

against any reasonable opponent u are crushed. if he is a super donk or a maniac i push. FWIW, the hand plays easier imo if you make a pot raise on the flop.