JaBlue 7 6.09%
Jack of Arcades 5 4.35%
jakethebake 6 5.22%
partygirluk 13 11.30%
ChristinaB 15 13.04%
BusterStacks 6 5.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: So you\'re getting robbed...

anybody who fights back against a guy with a knife to try to save the money they have in their pocket is not thinking straight. who cares if you are bigger, if you have a 0.1% chance of being killed then that is way too high to fight back.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:53 PM

I'm running.

When I was 16 me and two buddies were on our way home from a mtg tournament. It's around 11pm, pitch dark and the train station is deserted. The train station had this thin rather high metal bridge over the rails to get to each platform which we climb up and up there in the middle of the bridge are 2 young 20-something guys talking to each other. As my buddies and me pass them I get a gun stuck in my face and we get told to hand over our money and backpacks. Now we each had about $500 cash in our pockets from selling mtg cards and most of our collections in our backpacks for about another $1000 worth each. All 3 of us instantly started running instantly..funnily all 3 in another direction as I went towards one end of the bridge, a friend towards the other end and the second buddy down the closest stairs to the train-platform. Another funny part was when after running for a few blocks I see this guy come out of his appartment and I started running at him yelling "Hey Mister" cause I want to ask him to use his phone to call the cops. As I'm running at him he starts backing up with a somewhat scared look because as I later found out...he was scared I was going to mug him [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

So yeah, if I'm alone I'm running again, if my wife is with me I'm either jumping the guy or handing the money over depending on how much I think I can take him. If there's more then one I'm gladly handing over the money cause there's no way I'm endangering my wife for some stupid cash.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:02 PM

I hand over the cash in all cases.

I cant believe there are any responses for fighting/running. This option has a material risk of getting stabbed, no matter how badass you think you are. My friend is a 3rd dan aikido, and 1st dan in karate and he'd hand over the cash instantly (we've had this discussion before). Its just not worth the risk, fighting is a last resort, like if you're backed up in a dead end and you think hes gonna kill you whatever you do.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm running.

So yeah, if I'm alone I'm running again, if my wife is with me I'm either jumping the guy or handing the money over depending on how much I think I can take him. If there's more then one I'm gladly handing over the money cause there's no way I'm endangering my wife for some stupid cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

In your example, the guys had at least one gun. Can you outrun a bullet? If the answer is no, do you have really good life insurance? Because you are endangering your wife by getting killed whether she's there at the time or not.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm running.

[/ QUOTE ]

In your example, the guys had at least one gun. Can you outrun a bullet? If the answer is no, do you have really good life insurance? Because you are endangering your wife by getting killed whether she's there at the time or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

The gun is usually used as a threat and they will use it if you start fighting, however if you start running they aren't exactly going to shoot you in the back because that accomplishes nothing aside from alerting everybody in a 6-block radius what's going on and then they need to flee before they can get your stuff anyway.

So unless it's some crack-addict tripping and that barely has a clue what he's doing noone is going to shoot you in the back. And a crack-addict is very likely to shoot you no matter what you do.

You could be right though and it's hard to say exactly what one would do untill it actually happens. When I got that gun shoved in my face all 3 of us just ran instantly without thinking. Not one thought entered my mind, it was basically see the gun..heartbeat..run. Now that I'm 26 I might very well do something very different and would not be surprised if I handed everything over if they had a gun. When I was 16 that $1500 meant a whole lot more to me then whatever I might have on me now would be worth to me, even if it would be my lifesavings (not that I'd have that on me of course).

The more I think of it though I'm definately not jumping the guy ever. If it's one guy with just a knife I'm still running though if I'm by myself.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friend is a 3rd dan aikido, and 1st dan in karate and he'd hand over the cash instantly

[/ QUOTE ]

Your friend is pathetic.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:32 PM

If I'm being approached and they have a knife out, I'm pulling my pistol, plain and simple. They have a knife...I have a 9mm. I win.

Close range, it's a bit of a different story. I'll hand over cash without a fight only if I think that he's going to leave me alone once he gets his cash. If I think that he might try to stab me afterwards, well, I'll try to run away to get some position, and then pull my weapon if he's chasing.

I dunno.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:49 PM

I'd give the guy a quick jab in the face and take off.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:13 PM

I speak from experience, just let him have whatever he wants... material possessions are nothing compared to your life
Old 07-13-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I speak from experience, just let him have whatever he wants... material possessions are nothing compared to your life

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you wearing a pink skirt while writing this by chance?