Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: ####en party poker

It used to be within rules and now it is not.
One will have to learn to live without PE.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:55 PM

what does PE do that pokertracker does not do
Old 07-13-2005, 07:17 PM

The biggest benefit of PE was being able to open up tables and immediately see if they were loose or not - thus helping my game selection immensely. Sitting and waiting a few orbits is fine, but when you wait 50 hands to find out that you are on a crappy crappy table, it is easy to miss PE.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:40 PM

I still don't understand why it should take so long to figure out you are on a crappy table.

50 hands to determine that it's relatively tight?

Does this mean that in a B&M room I won't be able to figure out for over an hour if the table I'm on is any good or not?

1 or 2 orbits of observing your opponents should do it.

If you are waiting for 50 hands then one or two of the players on the table will likely have moved in or out by then anyhway.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1 or 2 orbits of observing your opponents should do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

I do think it'd be nice if Party listed % to the flop instead of pot size, but when it comes down to it... MEH!
Old 07-13-2005, 08:50 PM

Now i get a chance to respond. No i dont need poker edge to play. But if you can tell me that getting reads while 6 or 8 tabling is a skill that you can learn your full of [censored]. Your right i enjoy getting reads on people and improving my game when i play live but when im playing online theres no fun to the game its only about making money. The win rate i get with pe cant compare. Maybe im an [censored] idk but truth is im a rather moral person and i dont see a moral issue with this. Now if anyone wants to get a database together just pm me. I already have 3 of 4 people, not that thats anything, who can mine so let me know.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:35 PM

Just to clarify...I don't have any issues with poker-edge nor do I doubt that it can be quite helpful.

For me...I'm quite happy with GT+.
I've never used PE so maybe I'm missing out on something extraordinary.
But in my games when I use GT+ I'm pretty happy with the reads I get on my opponents in just a couple of orbits.
VP-65 usually means something close to VP-65 in most situations.

FWIW - I've been experimenting with playing WITHOUT GT+ sometimes as I've been reading TOO MUCH in my opps' stats and am just not playing freaking good cards.
It's my own personal deal that I'm working on.
I'm almost 3BB/100 in my short stretch of playing WITHOUT a HUD. Woo-hoo!!

I hope to re-invent my game a little bit while bringing back the advantages of GT+ stats to the table.
We'll see.

Anyway - use PE or large combined data-bases or don't...I was only saying that one can get a read without having to sit for 50+ hands.

Also - I realize you were probably responding to some of the other comments in this thread. But the reply was to my post so I decided to jump back in.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW - I've been experimenting with playing WITHOUT GT+ sometimes as I've been reading TOO MUCH in my opps' stats and am just not playing freaking good cards.
It's my own personal deal that I'm working on.
I'm almost 3BB/100 in my short stretch of playing WITHOUT a HUD. Woo-hoo!!

[/ QUOTE ]

How many tables do you play?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but if you can't play without stats, you need to learn how to play without them

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Why does he need to learn how to play without them? Let's say that by using these programs he can make $50/hr without much effort. Why does he need to know how to play without them? To get better at poker for the challenge? Maybe he doesn't care about challenging himself and just wants to keep making his very good living at the stakes he is at now using his programs and limited skills and ride it out for as long as possible and either then decide to learn how to play better and/or move on to some other job opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is a good plan for the future. And as someone who plays for a living myself I definately do want to keep bettering myself and want to keep being able to play without programs too.

But just because you and I want that for ourselves doesn't mean you get to decide what other people should do. Should he learn how to play without programs? Of course. Does he need/have to? No way.

Same for the guy who said "Well what are you going to do playing live then?" Maybe he doesn't care about playing live? I know I don't.

I'm with sthief09 on this one, some of the comments thrown at this guy are pretty self-righteous. Is he following the best path? No, not really. But for god's sake if it works for him and he's happy getting what he can with it by all means let the man do his thing for as long as he can.

If you people actually meant more something like what I'm talking about instead of what your harsh choices of words implied, then I apologize for this rant but please in the future think more careful of how you put things.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:52 PM

The reason is precisely what has been happening recently.
You have to make sure that Party banning of automatic real-time statistical software will not cripple your ability to win. This has a lot to do with being flexible and able to adjust to changing environment. If your poker table changes in texture, the statistics and with them your reaction to this change will be lagging behind perhaps longer than necessary to make a note of this change.
Or you could try and persuade Party not to ban your favorite statistical package. Good luck with that.