Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: ps 5/10. setting a trap, gone wrong?

I don't fold this, probably based solely on my current image... it's very easy to see him doing this with a large range of hands (anything from a busted draw to JJ), I think you are good here at least 60% of the time.

Edit: How does button bet his hands, his flop bet does seem a bit weird...
Old 07-13-2005, 05:18 PM

Default RESULTS

After thinking about it, I called.

My reasoning for the way I played the hand was the following. I check/called the flop and turn intending to make it seem like I had a bit of a draw. I checked the river, making it seem like I gave up. I know it was weird.

I was tempted to check/raise the turn, but I figured that I would only get called by a better hand (like a set). Since he was betting pretty small, I figured that he was trying to milk me/get the pot cheap. Plus, it didn't seem like I was that strong. And frankly, I was ok with that.

The only hand that I was really worried about drawing was something like the flush draw w overs or something like JT. and if either of those draws got completed, then i'd reevaluate. If he had a set, i was going to pay it off. and even so, i doubt he would've bet all that much.

given all this, I decided to call. the big bet seemed more like desperation or even something crazy like QQ.

Oops. He had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for top pair turned into backdoor nutflush.

Comments on any of this?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

y, y, y check the flop?
you said villain thinks you are tilting- and he did call 7.5x bb w/ A9, do you think he is going to try and bluff some1 on tilt (doesnt sound like he is retarted), he may however overcall you assuming u are tilting and overrating your own hands. UGLY flop check- you were getting stacked anyway, but if you pot the flop, then all the $$ goes in on the turn (or at least a least most of it) while you are still ahead. I'd be more afraid to let him get away from a 2nd best hand than to have him beat me, that being said fold the river I guess but I dont know I'd never put myself in this spot. You know he probably isn't trying to bluff you on river (since your a tilty maniac) is he mayb overvalueing QQ because he thinks your tilting? Ugly spot.

Next time some donkey calls 7.5x bb preflop and you have AA dont get tricky, they obviously cant find their fold button, push it in quik before they do.

-durrrr
Old 07-13-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a turn check-raise here...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-13-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he had a set, i was going to pay it off

[/ QUOTE ]

then you really need to do something to protect your hand on the turn

[ QUOTE ]
I was tempted to check/raise the turn, but I figured that I would only get called by a better hand (like a set).

[/ QUOTE ]

a. thats not true
b. thats ok
Old 07-13-2005, 11:43 PM

why would you check the flop? lead and if he calls or raises, then check-push the turn.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:29 AM

See, you were ahead of him until the river, then you got all your chips in. Bad for you, goot for him.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a turn check-raise here...

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, all in.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:41 PM

Durrr pretty well nailed it for me. Like Brunson says, you're more likely to win a small pot and lose a big one. This is a classic example where you could have won a small one.