Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: How bad were you crushing the 11\'s when you moved up to the 22s?

[ QUOTE ]
the problem is that if you start with a million dollars and you stink you lose it all. ?

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

You should think of the size of a loss relative to your income/fortune. If you are a losing player you will lose it all anyway. You can argue that a billionair wanting to spend $1million on online poker would last longer at lower stakes, but he wouldn't have as much fun.

So basicly your saying a losing millionaire should play as low as possible? I say they shouldn't play at all, but if they want to play why play stakes where the money doesn't matter to them?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the problem is that if you start with a million dollars and you stink you lose it all. ?

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

You should think of the size of a loss relative to your income/fortune. If you are a losing player you will lose it all anyway. You can argue that a billionair wanting to spend $1million on online poker would last longer at lower stakes, but he wouldn't have as much fun.

So basicly your saying a losing millionaire should play as low as possible? I say they shouldn't play at all, but if they want to play why play stakes where the money doesn't matter to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a billion dollars, money is meaningless anyways so why not play high stakes and lose your million.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Andy Beal? If you have million to lose who cares. If you want to use this formulaic approach to BR management, start at a level you are comfortable playing at with a bankroll that is adequate for that level. A similar approach would be what curtains did with his 8 tabling. He didn't look at how big his bankroll was to begin with but rather his profit. When his profit reached X he moved up and would move down if he had a bad run at the next level.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:53 PM

well a million to a billionaire would be meaningless, but you get the idea =)

Point is if you can afford it, why don't play it?
Old 07-13-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because many people's utility function of entertainment would not increase linearly or exponentially with amount of money paid for. ie, a very possible millionaire or billionaire would have the same amount of fun playing a $10 as a $200 or a $1000, in part because the buyins are not so diverse for him.

so, in other words, it is in part because "if you have a million to blow because you have lots more, why would you blow it?"

or, "playing for high stakes does not necessarilly increase excitement/enjoyment."

citanul
Old 07-13-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because many people's utility function of entertainment would not increase linearly or exponentially with amount of money paid for. ie, a very possible millionaire or billionaire would have the same amount of fun playing a $10 as a $200 or a $1000, in part because the buyins are not so diverse for him.

so, in other words, it is in part because "if you have a million to blow because you have lots more, why would you blow it?"

or, "playing for high stakes does not necessarilly increase excitement/enjoyment."

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're all making broad, sweeping assumptions about why people play poker.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we're all making broad, sweeping assumptions about why people play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

and to make it better, we're doing so totally off the topic of the original post.

citanul
Old 07-13-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A similar approach would be what curtains did with his 8 tabling. He didn't look at how big his bankroll was to begin with but rather his profit. When his profit reached X he moved up and would move down if he had a bad run at the next level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curtains dropped down to the $11s because he blew his bankroll buying wierd dogs.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Curtains dropped down to the $11s because he blew his bankroll buying wierd dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Likely but here is a post of his

[ QUOTE ]
Amount of money in account is irrelevant.

Play 8 tables of $11. Play them all day or whatever. On the following day, see what your running total is from playing sit and gos. If you are up $200 (10x the buyin of the next level), then replcae one of your $11s with a $22. Keep doing this until youve won I guess $1600 (80x the buyin of the next level) at which point youll be playing 8 $22s and then you repeat for every level..

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-13-2005, 04:03 PM

This may be a little off topic, but I don't think you can move up to new levels until you are totally comfortable with the amount of money in play. For example, I currently have a 35 percent ROI in the 11's, and I do very well in the 22's, but I can't handle the bad beats as well at the 22's. For example, when someone sucks out terribly on me at the twenty two's, it throws my game off badly because I think to myself "that luckbox just cost me a hundred bucks". Until I can learn to shake off the beats like I can at the 11's, I won't be as good of a player and thus I can't move up.

Thoughts?

Sigma