Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 04:28 AM

Default Re: New York Poker Players To Protest NYPD Raids

Do you grasp the significance of what you're saying? Do you understand that they give you a receipt for your possessions when you go to jail for a heinous crime? You believe that the police can steal your money because you were playing cards. Why? Asking for a receipt demonstrates that you can think; that you resent being harassed and treated like a criminal for engaging in a harmless activity. If poker players complained, their voices would be heard. Does it register with you that the police themselves admit that playing poker is NOT illegal?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nobody in their right mind blames the cops for the busts. clearly, they are just doing their jobs. However, you'd be even further out of your mind to ask a NYC cop for a receipt for your money. That will be seen as disrespecting their authority and they will think youre a wise ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

They shouldn't see you as disrespecting their authority -- but they might. The fact is that someone could have said "I understand that I cannot take these chips with me, but they belong to me. I would like a receipt for them before I leave." That is the person's right -- to assert an ownership interest in property that the police intend to confiscate. Now, one or more of the officers might get offended by this and see it as a challenge to their authority and you may not want to risk the hassle you may cause yourself by trying. If I had $200 in front of me at the time of the raid, I certainly would have kept my mouth shut and let it pass... If I had $7000 in front of me, I might be a little more willing to take the risk.

It would be very interesting to find out who made the decision to raid these clubs and why...
Old 07-13-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It would be very interesting to find out who made the decision to raid these clubs and why...

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a higher up who is on the payroll of the organized crime they mention they are looking for. Maybe the club was competing with some of their interests.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:05 PM

This is from today's POST:

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/50088.htm

POKER PROTESTERS HEADING 'STRAIGHT' FOR POLICE HQ

By MURRAY WEISS

Email Archives
Print Reprint

July 13, 2005 -- Flushed with anger, a bunch of poker-playing protesters plan to literally put their two cents into the controversial NYPD crackdown on card rooms by playing Texas Hold 'Em for pennies outside Police Headquarters.

Demonstrators say they will stage their "No Poker, No Peace" sitdown tomorrow to make their point that the NYPD is not dealing straight with card aficionados playing at clubs.

Last month, cops raided two upscale clubs, the Playstation in Union Square and the New York Players Club on the Upper West Side, which are frequented by high-stakes gamblers and celebrities.

Cops busted 39 club employees and seized nearly $100,000 in cash, saying the clubs were illegally taking a cut of the action.

Critics, however, say the clubs charged bettors only a small fee. They claim the bulk of the money belonged to the players.

"You tell your wife you are going out to play some poker, complained poker lover and chess master Ron Wieck.

"Then you come home and say some guys came in with guns and took the money — and it was the police."

The NYPD did not immediately comment on the proposed protest.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you grasp the significance of what you're saying? Do you understand that they give you a receipt for your possessions when you go to jail for a heinous crime? You believe that the police can steal your money because you were playing cards. Why? Asking for a receipt demonstrates that you can think; that you resent being harassed and treated like a criminal for engaging in a harmless activity. If poker players complained, their voices would be heard. Does it register with you that the police themselves admit that playing poker is NOT illegal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Youre preaching to the choir. Dont be naive. There are still charges they can hit you with if they think youre being a wiseass.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:27 PM

Fear of the Government and a sense of hopelessness in the face of it's seeming overwhelming power is the first step towards destruction of the rights of people. It is not right that a Government should control a People. A Govenment ought be in place to serve the People, and to serve at the pleasure of the people.

If people passively allow a Government to trample it's rights and confiscate it's property without protest, then those people are willingly giving up thier natural right to Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:35 PM

The players would do better to take their protest to the state legislature. Although a case can certainly be made that the police should use their limited resourses against more serious crimes than poker games, they are doing their job: enforcing the law. The fact that the law in quesion is idiotic is the fault of the state legislature, not the police. Also, the poker clubs (and their customers) should recognize that, because they are engaged in an illegal business, they need to keep a low profile. The police department would probably just as soon ignore the poker clubs, but when the poker clubs rub the noses of the police in the fact that there is illegal activity taking place, they will get raided.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is no contract between the player's club and its players that constitutes the chips in play as owed money.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is completely wrong. There is not a written contract, but there most certainly is in implied contract, understood by both parties, that chips will be cashed out. Although I believe that the police are doing their job by raiding the clubs, keeping the players' money is theft, pure and simple.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:56 PM

No I was insulting the person I directed the comment at who had a very gleeful attitute and inaccurate information. To your unprovoked insults, I have no reason to lower myself to your level to have a discussion with a person like you.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"You tell your wife you are going out to play some poker, complained poker lover and chess master Ron Wieck.

"Then you come home and say some guys came in with guns and took the money — and it was the police."

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't heard this name in a while. I played him in chess a couple of times, about 8 years ago.