Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 07:32 AM

Default How many hands until i can make the 10/20 shot

I currently play the party 5/10. How many hands worth of experience do you think I need before I take my shot at 10/20, given a good-sized bankroll and given that I'm a good dataminer.

I am confident that I am beating 5/10.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:41 AM

Default Re: How many hands until i can make the 10/20 shot

if you know you are beating the 5 10 and have the cash (these two probably go together), then give it a shot right now.

And dont worry if you take a beating, your sample size will surely be too small to tell anything about how you match up with the 10 20 guys. Try to focus on making the correct play for your opponent every time, and dont worry about how any short term results reflect on your play. Cuz they dont.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:47 AM

Just move up when you feel ready. 1 or 2 table to start off with so you can make adaptations. It's more aggressive, but theres still lots of donks.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:05 AM

Yeah, I think "when you feel ready" is a good answer. Don't move up if you don't feel comfortable doing it, but if you've been datamining and you can afford it, there's no reason not to give a higher limit a shot if you'll be able to play your best there.

I don't think there's any "play x number of hands before you move up" kind of rule, for good reason
Old 07-13-2005, 12:18 PM

Depends on the player and their goals.

You are beating 5/10 but by how much 1bb/100 1.5 2 2.5 3 3+?

What are you like when there are a couple of real aggressive players at your table?

Good sized BR I assume 600BB+
Old 07-13-2005, 12:24 PM

I would say that if you're in the mood to give it a go and have $2000 that you can lose without getting upset, give it a shot and quit if you lose the 100BBs or whatever you set aside. Less than 100BBs will mean you're playing scared from the get go, which is no good.

I did just that in April and I am very glad I did. I ran good, made a big chunk of money, and convinced myself that one day $10/20 will be the game for me. At the time, despite winning, I found it too stressful with all those large-denomination chips flying around with such abandon...

Oh, and if you take a shot, adapt well, and come back down to $5/10, adapt back. By which I mean, start folding to turn raises again.

Guy.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:38 PM

As others have said, it depends.
However, I think it would be a big mistake to move up if you have played less than 50k hands at 5/10.
Less than that is not a sufficient sample. Even after 50k+, your winrate will still fluctuate all over the place.
I played about 200k hands at 5/10 before I felt I was ready for 10/20.