Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 02:16 PM

Default do you guys isolation 3 bet often in these micro games?

Ive been trying to deviate from the sshe charts (usually ned up using the tight one for 1/2 full ring tables)

but obviously theres some things that you can do differently..

ie. raise with any playable hand in the CO or button if its been folded to you

but these are two things ive been trying recently and i just want to know if ive been spewing chips...

if a not too strong plyaer raises before me in early position and its folded to me in mp-late position, i often like to 3 bet to isolate with hands such as AQ, 88 and above, and sometimes even KQ depending on how im feeling

should i not be doing this?

also, if i am in late position and a weak oplayer limps in from early/mid position and its folded to me, i like to raise in late position with hands as weak as QT to get it heads up

once agian, is this wrong?

if you guys could post where you change your strategy from the sshe charts and why, that would be great. thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: do you guys isolation 3 bet often in these micro games?

It depends on the player. If he's a maniac, 3bet his ass. If he's the nittiest nit to ever nit, I'm folding. You have to evaluate your hand against his range of raising hands.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: do you guys isolation 3 bet often in these micro games?

There's too much "it depends" to succinctly answer your question, but I will say this: Before I get too entrenched in the isolation game, I have to ask myself this: Can I do it with regularity without letting the rest of the table know what I'm up to?

Think about it: Against a maniac or known loose player who opens, (re)raising with any ace from MP on back is probably a good play. But if a player behind you knows what you're trying to accomplish, he'll likely cap/three-bet with any hand that, while not usually one to three-bet with, is one that's significantly better than yours -- something like 99 or AQo.

Then there's the flip side -- you're at a table in which several players will play any two for any amount. You'd rather these players fold to your raises, because your raising standards have dropped. If you find that no one's getting out of your way when you isolate, you're probably better off not isolating and only (re)raising with your premium hands.