Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: WSOP Day 5: \"Official\" News, Results, and Discussion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds to me like he was picking off a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes of course he was picking off a bluff. But is he 100% sure it's a bluff, of course not. So say he's only 60 or 70 % sure it's a bluff. Is it worth it knowing that even though you may be correct, you still have to have that bottom pair to stand up to the turn and river cards.

Weighing all of that, I would never call at that stage of the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's surely why Matusow pushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of results orientation surrounding this thread (on a hand that we don't know the complete details on).

As always with a big bluff:

Player A bluffs, Player B folds better hand -- Player A has brass ones, Player B is weak/tight

Player A bluffs, Player B calls w/ better hand -- Player A is idoit, Player B credited with brilliant read

Player A bluffs, Player B calls w/ better hand, Player A sucks out -- Player A is a lucky idiot, Player B credited with brilliant read and attains martyrdom for bad beat

Perhaps the last comment of this thread is right, Matasow might have made a good, calculated bluff given his stack, what he has seen of his opponent, the stage of the tournament, etc., etc.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: 3-1 Ivey winning it

What is your strategy versus a player like Tiffany if you have a large stack of 2mill...

You have to think by now the pros with big stacks are a bit gun shy in tangeling with Tiffany and her stack preflop as she is likely push in preflop without regard of being a Large Dog going into the hand.

A suckout and your gone just like that. No hand is that big of favorite pre-flop. I guess the strategy would be to get in her in small pots and let her over play top pair or two pair versus your set or straight.

The pre-flop resteals aren't working. Give here some rope and she'll hang herself postflop. I think too many are viewing her as this weak player that they can push around but in fact she all too happy to get all in and not make decisions. Why push her around when there is still too much luck involved with preflop situations? They should be coercing her into seeing a lot of flops, then she is good as gone as she will overplay a hand.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: WSOP Day 5: \"Official\" News, Results, and Discussion

This reminds me of a hand I played once in a tournament where I bet the whole way on a semi-bluff (straight draw). When I missed on the river, I put my opponent on a busted flush draw and went all-in since the pot was huge.

My opponent called with the busted flush draw (queen high) and beat my ten high. This is a case where we both made good plays.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:08 PM

*IF* that's how she's been playing, she'll probably end up bleeding some chips to the smaller stacks who won't be afraid to push in as a 2:1 favorite. Or else she'll just get lucky and rack up a ton more. Who knows.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:09 PM

Sorry - just saw later post.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:15 PM

Are you still taking at 4-1? If so, PM me.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Tiffany

Is she really in pre-flop all-in mode? So she's either going to keep picking up small pots or someone's going to be sitting on 4.5m pretty soon when their AA doubles up off her AQ.

Or she'll get lucky and suck out a few times and roll to the final table. I can't see someone winning it with that strategy though.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:26 PM

Before play starts today.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:29 PM

Default LOOK AT YOU. FROM HEAD TO TOE YOU ARE NOTHING!

Come to my seminar.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: LOOK AT YOU. FROM HEAD TO TOE YOU ARE NOTHING!

It's better than I remember