Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2003, 03:36 AM

Default Critique please

NLHE on Pokerstars, $30 buy-in. Blinds are $300/$600 with (if I recall right) $50 antes.

I have 9K chips in the SB, BB has 18K chips (my stack is slightly below average out of the remaining 27 players).

I'm dealt 72 offsuit.

I contemplate a steal attempt, but decide instead to call for $300 to see the flop.

Flop is 4 6 7 (two of a suit, one of which I have in my hand). So now I've got top pair + a poor kicker.

I decide to bet 4K (to make it unattractive for BB to chase any possible flush or straight draw). At this point I have no info on what BB has but I figure at best for him it's two face cards since he didn't raise before the flop. It's also likely he may have 2nd or 3rd pair.

BB re-raises me all-in, and I feel he is trying to make a move on me (I strongly suspect overcards when he makes this move).

I call, and BB turns over 35 offsuit (he flopped the nut straight).

Was there anything questionable I did, or was it plain bad luck that he flopped the straight?
Old 06-28-2003, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Critique please

I think you played it badly.

Why would you like to see the flop with 72o?! Hoping to flop a full house or something, I don´t know.
Either you should try to steal his blind and fold to a re-raise (he wouldn´t re-raise with 53o), or you should just muck the hand and carry on with the next hand.

When he raises you all-in - FOLD. You´re beaten. There´s a lot of hands he can have: overpair, two pairs, trips and that flopped nut straight.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2003, 02:01 PM

Here was my thought process:

With rolling antes, I didn't want to just let him have the blinds.

I figured if I tried to steal that he would snap back at me, especially considering how much bigger his stack was.

As you know, there's no way to tell beforehand that he's got 3 5 offsuit.

My plan was that if he raised from the BB pre-flop after my call that I would fold. Also, if I caught 2nd or 3rd pair or nothing on the flop I'd check-fold.

I thought the 300 investment in calling was worth it compared to the 1,300 already in the pot plus the implied odds on my 9K stack vs. his 18K stack (i.e. pay 300 for a shot at winning 1,300 + 9,000 from him).

Again, it was possible to catch trips on the flop (two 7's or two 2's) or two pair and what really tempted me was that my 7 pair was top pair.

When he re-raised me all in I thought it fishy because he had a power stack and I honestly thought that he had just overcards and that if I was really beat it would be because he'd caught top pair + better kicker.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:44 PM

I would not like to go out of a tourney that way. But you clearly have a though with your play and that is good.

But as I said, for me it would have been raise or fold.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:00 AM

Default Born loser !?!

You know how to lose w/ AA,KK,QQ,AK,AQ. Now you also know how to lose w/ 72.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:13 AM

Default Here\'s your critique

From the moment you completed your small blind, you didn't do a single thing right in this hand.

You played the absolute worst starting hand in poker, you flopped a weak top pair with a horseshit kicker. And how you can put the BB on any hand at this stage is beyond me, since it was a free play for him. Putting him on two face cards is the last thing I'd put him on, seeing as if it was folded to you, this is a hand worth raising and stealing with.

You overbet the pot with trash. When anyone comes over the top of me like that, I'd better have outs to fall back on, and you have a grand total of six, none of which give you anything even close to a strong hand (unless you go runner-runner).

Let's say the BB is on a flush draw with overcards. He's got 14 outs, and isn't damaged by calling your bet. That he re-raises you all-in should be a clear signal to give up this fight, seeing you have next to nothing. He obviously doesn't fear your top pair.

In short, I wish everyone played hands like this against me in a similar fashion.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:57 AM

I would fold 72o there. Is the investment of 300 bucks really worth it if you are unable to let go of the hand if you flop a 7 (Ok, I would fold the hand in any case, and I think raising is by far a better option than calling, although still not as good as folding)? Also i think you bet too much on the flop....because once you bet 4000 of your last 9000 dollars, it is hard to let go of the hand, however tenuous it may be.
Also an important note is that if he's a good player, its very unlikely that hes bullying you, since he assumes that you will automatically call him as youve already put 50% of your stack in on the flop. I don't think anyone expects to be able to make someone fold in that situation
Old 06-30-2003, 12:34 AM

Implied odds are horrible excuse to make a call here. What kind of flops are going to make you feel confident enough to push in your entire stack? 772, 777? It's really rediculous. 7-2os is the worst possible hand to have. Defending the blinds here is a mistake. If you play, raise. Otherwise fold it. 7-2o is not a hand I want to see a flop with.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:44 AM

He played it perfectly, he flopped the nuts and guessed that if he checked you would bet and then moved you all-in. This is a perfect example of why you don't play 72o. You caught an excellent flop and still lost badly.

Also if he had two face cards, I don't see why he'd check pre-flop and then raise later.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:46 AM

Actually as the SB I was first to act and made the first bet. He didn't have the chance to just check on the flop.