Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Should I ever get away from this?

Not a great read on MP1 yet. Seems to play semi-tight and takes forever to make decisions. I have not seen him do anything remarkable (great/poor) yet either.

MP1 raises and folded to me in BB with KK. I 3-bet and MP calls.

Flop comes ATX rainbow. I bet, villain raises, I call.

Check/call. Check/call.

I still feel lost in some of these HU situations, especially when OOP. Looking back, I can't see how villain would bet the river without an ace. But OTOH, I've seen so many ridiculous things in HU pots that I feel like opponents are always trying to bluff me. Is this call down poor?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Should I ever get away from this?

I've seen people use check-call all the way to the river as the line for this situation. Once you bet the flop and he raises I think you have to use that information, but you don't have much of a read here so it's tough.

Sometimes the best way to approach this is to ask what hands he might be raising with here that you beat. For example, he's probably not raising with KQ.

Honestly I have the same trouble as you here though.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:19 AM

I think the easiest thing to do is just to fold, there are too many things that could beat you, A-K, A-10, 10-10, or what ever that A-X card was, you are out of position, so it's gonna cost you on the next two streets, if you were bluffed by Q-Q or J-J it's not the end of the world, there are better spots to win money back from the guy
Old 07-13-2005, 05:27 AM

This would be alot different if I had position on the other player, I could have 3 bet the flop for a cheap showdown or find out more information if I had the button or something

But having to act early makes this a very awkward position to play, even with 10:1 odds to call the flop I'm only drawing to 2 outs to hit my trips
Old 07-13-2005, 05:30 AM

So you fold to the flop raise?

If villain has QQ, JJ, KQ or is outright bluffing 30% of the time, Hero can profitably call down getting 3.5:1 from the turn.

I honestly can't make up my mind what the correct move is here without a read - but in the heat of the battle, at 2/4, I call down (then hate myself when shown AQ).
Old 07-13-2005, 06:02 AM

Without a good read it's hard to say but what about check/call check/call bet/fold?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:11 AM

I don't like check/calling the flop.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:16 AM

I thought about this line which is the typical WA/WB line...

Here's a link.

However at the time I was thinking about how this hand differs: I was the one who showed the aggression preflop. Also, I have a much lower chance of being WA here.

I was thinking there might be a very small chance I could fold something like AJ on the flop and that would make a bet worth it. Looking back, I think this was a mistake. More analysis in a few minutes...
Old 07-13-2005, 06:18 AM

for the most part against some players i know if he bets the river i'm toast. so as odd as checkcalling the turn and checkfolding the river is, against some players its the right play.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking there might be a very small chance I could fold something like AJ on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know exactly what you were doing when you had this notion, but I assure you it wasn't thinking.