Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 03:02 AM

Default Did I take this hand too far?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 21.25 BB

UTG is loose passive. 43.2/9.46 over 74 hands
Same with MP1. 31.2/1.30 over 77 hands
Old 07-13-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Did I take this hand too far?

Reads would be nice.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:06 AM

Reads would be very very helpful. I would just call the turn raise, but 3-betting is an alright option. After the cap I think you are looking at a set from an unknown. Check/call the river.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:09 AM

Everything is fine up until the river. It looks like UTG has a set, and the river is way overplayed.

I don't bet the river. I'd check/call it. You are probably beaten but he might just have two pair or a donktastic AA, and by check/calling you might get MP1 to overcall. He's likely to call one bet on the river. So you lose one bet on the river when you're behind but pick up two bets when you're infront. Betting means UTG can fold MP1 with a raise and you put 2 bets in for the same chance to win 2.

3-betting is spewing. You have a hand strong enough to showdown, but not strong enough to go to war with when UTG starts blasting at you on the turn. (Your turn play is correct, however. Not 3-betting top 2 pair would be bad.)
Old 07-13-2005, 03:11 AM

Without reads, this sure looks like a slowplayed set to me. You could even have gotten outdrawn by QT, if the villain is particularly aggressive. In any case, I probably 3-bet the turn and call a cap, then check/call the river. (If the villian had not capped, I think the river is a bet/call.)

Edit (now having seen the PokerTracker numbers): If UTG is passive, you're very rarely ahead here. Even if we could somehow justify betting the river, you have to fold to a raise, considering he capped the turn. I don't think you can possibly check/fold a good two pair on the river here, as the pot has now ballooned, but betting and then 3-betting is not good.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:18 AM

I'm not sure I like the turn 3bet, I know I hate the river bet, and the river 3bet is horrid poker
Old 07-13-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I like the turn 3bet..

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the read, the villain may just be raising a queen, say Q9 or QT. The 3-bet, I think, is often for value, but also makes the river easier to play.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:10 AM

Turn is fine. river is too much. (w/o better read than stats) you'll probably get shown a delayed set here.