Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Weird rebuy tourny

I dont know if i should put this in the one table section or not bc i dont know how many people we'll get, but one of my poker buddies wants to do one final tournament before we all go off to college and this is the format hes described:

$10 initial buy in with one $15 rebuy. The rebuy gives you as many chips as the current chip leader. The rebuy can happen at ANY time in the tournament as long as you have not used yours. So if you get down to heads up and havent used your rebuy, you can bust and be right back even in chips.

I was wondering if this is any good (I personally dont like it or any form of a rebuy tournament, but especially this one) and what kind of strategy should be used for it.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Weird rebuy tourny

1st: Rebuy tournaments are awsome as long as you are properly bankrolled. Players play worse. Some play *much* worse. Now, a few of these dilberts are going to amass some huge stacks, often with some ridiculous suckouts. This is a good thing.

OK, my impassioned defense of rebuys aside, this one is really strange. So do you get to be *equal* to the biggest stack or do you *add* the amount of the biggest stack? That is if you have 1K and the big stack has 8K and you rebuy, do you have 8K or 9K. I'm guessing 8K, but it wasn't clear.

If my assumption is correct (or really, even if it isn't) you always want to take the rebuy, and you want to take it when you go broke. The largest stack will just keep getting bigger, and if you get to equal the biggest stack, you want to have as few chips as possible (i.e. 0) when you do it.

It seems like this structure encourages you to take as few chances as possible, since the later you take your rebuy, the more it is worth.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:01 PM

depending on the blind ratios, I'm not sure I'd play a hand until everyone has used their rebuy.

I would certainly play an uuuuuuuber tight game.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:20 PM

you can only rebuy once you go broke, and now that i know to play extremely tight, i might want to actually do this bc im sure ill be the only one who knows that being tight is right.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:06 AM

what would final heads up play strategy be assuming hero has not rebought and villian has and also if hero has rebought and villian hasnt?