Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Think \"AA\" in omaha is something . .READ ON

Again, the best answer to this is Roy Cook's famous: "it depends"

Also, notice that you are saying xx, but then say that you have low cards. If you indeed have "xx" (which would be lik an 9 and a 10, offsuit) then NO! it does NOT play well heads up, especially agaisnt a raiser.

With the "low cards" that you mention, again, : it depends.

It depends on what those low cards ARE. If they are a 7 and an 8 NO! If you are up against a quality, double-suited hand, such as A 2 3 5 double suited, they can very very very very very easily, KICK YOUR BUTT. There wheel power, beats your AA power. If they hit, you may lose your whole stack

BUT IF THE FLOP COMES SOMETHING LIKE Q J 6, and you bet the pot, you won't get any more money from them.

OK, NOW PLEASE, AND WITHOUT ANY MORE IDIOTIC "WARNINGS" EVERYONE DRILL A WHOLE INTO YOUR BRAINS, AND POUR THIS INFORMATION IN:

'The object of a pot limit omaha game, especially hi low, is to totally bust someone, for a big stack, in a situation where you are FREEROLLING, or at least a very very big favorite. It is NOT, to try to win the money, before the flop.

If someone raised to 12, let's say, in a 400 max game, with A 3 6 J suited jack

AND YOU HAVE AA24 suited ace, with the same suit as their jack

YOU DO NOT NOT NOT NOT A MILLION "NOTS" WANT THAT 12 BUCKS FROM THEM.

If you think that the correct play, is to make it 40

Then you are not ready for this game. PERIOD. And, that's not indended, as an insult. It's not your fault, making the transition from hold em, to omaha, AIN'T EASY!

And, making the transition, from limit, to pot limt

IS EVEN LESS EASY.

In a limit game, I would want to reraise here. Incread the power of my AA segment of the hand, by trying to get it heads up. And, since you can't get that much more money off the original raiser, anyway. IT WOULD NOT BE A TOTAL loss, if everyone just folded.

but, in a POT limit game, the object is to get the opponent's whole stack, in a situation where you are pretty darned safe

OR EVEN TOTALLY SAFE.

Example:

couple months ago, ATE was playing the 400 max game on poker stars. I had an AA 47 with suited ace.

Someone raised, I called. The flop was A 3 9, with two spaded. The raiser bets the pot, now, NOW ATE raises the pot. The turn was a nine, and now he bets agin, I raise again (we both had over 500 beans, before the start of the hand. OH, did I mention that my suit was spades?

Any way, a non low card hit, and ATE cleans the guy out for over 500 smackers. He had A 3 9 J, and after the flop, ATE only had a 1/10th of 1% chance of losing.

Had I made a big reraise, with that rather weak hand, he may very well have NOT called.

It happened again, this time in straight high, and I flopped a set, aginst the original raisers, aces up

THIS IS THE WHOLE POINT OF POT LIMIT,

and if anyone ANYONE out there, (especially YOU, "warning" guy Ever thinks, and I mean THINKS about playing a REAL pot limt game, say in Vegas, or Anchorage, Alaska

(Ed note: when ATE says "real" he means: no maximum buy in)

THEN, YOU HAVE DAMNED WELL BETTER HEED ATE'S ADVICE, AND REALLY UNDERSTAND THE DYNAMICS OF THIS GAME.

Ok, enough with the naysayers. If y'all cannot tell, by now, that ATE not only knows what he's saying . . . .

BUT KNOWS EXACTLY, AND I MEAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN EXACT, pluckin' LY WHAT I'M SAYING, then there is little hope for you in poker. You must have the ability to tell which information is good, and which is not

Just consider yourselves LUCKY, that I'm SICK enough to stupidly give this away.

adam the helpful genius

OH, BY THE WAY, YOU BROKE THE RULES: PLEASE, I'm asking nicely, if you have a question of ATE, please ask in a new post. I do not already read all of the replies.

adam