Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Stud 8 hand:7 way capped on 3rd St. How \'s my line?

<font color="blue">Table has been loose (obviously) </font>
7 Card Stud High-Low ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises

<font color="blue"> Ok, Maybe I got a little carried away capping here, but I know there has to be a ton of dead money in this pot. My 3 staright low feels like its one of the better hands out here. Am I wrong to punish the K and Q's? </font>

4th Street - (30.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
<font color="blue"> I caught bad, but with the pot size I feel compelled to take off another card. The initial bet by the Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] doesn't scare me, and I'm definitely not happy getting caught in the middle after the cr but the cr came from 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] so I'm not really scared of him. The 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is the only hand that caught, but he isn't trying to narrow the field. When he skips the chance to cr, I have to assume that he either a) has a concealed high hand or b) is timid in the face of an out of control pot. I'm praying that I catch low and can check call from here on out.</font>
5th Street - (24.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

<font color="blue"> This is as good a card as I can reasonably hope for here. I'm a little worried about 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] but with my live gutshot and the massive pot, I'm more than happy to call. </font>
6th Street - (30.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
<font color="blue"> Ugh! I caught bad and to make matters worse three of my scoopcards came and went on this street. I'm making a crying call and praying for an ace or duece. </font>
River - (34.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
<font color="blue"> Ok, I caught my deuce and I'm praying for a cheap chance to show down my 7-6-5-3-2. </font>

Total pot: (37.00 BB)
Results in white :
<font color="white"> Main Pot: $145 | Rake: $3

Seat 1: [ Jh Qc Qs 6s 7s 4s 4h ] [ two pairs, queens and fours -- Qc,Qs,Jh,4s,4h ]

Seat 4: [ 2h 8d 6c 5s 7d 4d 7h ] [ LO: 7,6,5,4,2 | HI: a straight, four to eight -- 8d,7d,6c,5s,4d ]

Hero: [ 5h 7c 6h Jc 3s Kh 2s ] [ LO: 7,6,5,3,2 | HI: high card king -- Kh,Jc,7c,6h,5h ]
</font>

<font color="blue"> Is my play reasonable? I'm pretty new to stud 8 and this is the most action I have seen yet. </font>
Old 07-10-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Stud 8 hand:7 way capped on 3rd St. How \'s my line?

I don't think 3betting 3rd as you did is a mistake given the size of the pot, but I wouldn't cap it. No low is getting out and you want a cheap 4th to decide how far you're staying. You also don't want to build a big pot because you're pushing a very small edge here while making it correct for the loose goose to chase, thereby causing them to play correctly by drawing slim with good enough odds.

On fourth you can't fold for one bet and the people doing the raising all bricked, so you just got suckered in but nothing you can do about that.

5th: RAISE. The pot is big enough already so start kicking people out. You don't want anyone drawing to a higher straight or flush to stick around, and you definetly don't want some low that paired to stick around either. You may likely even have the best or one of the best hands here so the raise will have value too. Worse case scenario you're drawing slim to a lower low but you still HAVE to raise here.

everything else is pretty standard.

Judging by seat 4's play, i think it's highly likely that he has a rough low on account of his likely straight, but you're better off calling the river IMHO.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:47 AM

Pretty much what he said
Old 07-10-2005, 02:18 PM

just for clarafication, capping on 3rd is still +ev, right? Its just a very high varience way to play it, correct?
Old 07-10-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just for clarafication, capping on 3rd is still +ev, right? Its just a very high varience way to play it, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

gives you odds on 4th [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I might riase 5th sometimes given the scoopers are live. Cash in some of your equity value before it goes bad. Maybe get a free 6th too if need be.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:48 AM

I didnt look any past 4th street. Follow the PAINT rule!!! If you catch a paint on 4th you fold. Also look up the escape table. This is huge in h/l.

Escaping is where you can win a portion of the pot (either half or the entire pot).

THE ESCAPE TABLE (from super system).

"Street" || Percent needed to escape profitably.
------------------------------------------------------
4th || 87%
5th || 75%
6th || 50%
7th || 25%

So you see, when you catch a paint on 4th, there is not an 87% chance that you will win a portion of the pot, so you fold. This has helped me tremendously in h/l.

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didnt look any past 4th street. Follow the PAINT rule!!! If you catch a paint on 4th you fold. Also look up the escape table. This is huge in h/l.

Escaping is where you can win a portion of the pot (either half or the entire pot).

THE ESCAPE TABLE (from super system).

"Street" || Percent needed to escape profitably.
------------------------------------------------------
4th || 87%
5th || 75%
6th || 50%
7th || 25%

So you see, when you catch a paint on 4th, there is not an 87% chance that you will win a portion of the pot, so you fold. This has helped me tremendously in h/l.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "Escape Table" from the original Super System refers to stud hi/lo played without a qualifier, and it assumes a small starting pot. Thus, your advice is totally inapplicable and wrong.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:18 PM

I don't see how he can continue against seat 4. Seat 4 almost surely has hero beat. Especially on 6th.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how he can continue against seat 4. Seat 4 almost surely has hero beat. Especially on 6th.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are ignoring the size of the pot.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:49 PM

I agree with spladle. The pot has gotten much too large to not take another one off, although sadly enough he had to do it for two bets. Like someone else said earlier though.. I would raise with the gutshot in hopes to build value in the hand if I do get lucky enough to hit it. After you catch bad on 6th, call one bet and pray to the poker gods.