Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Laying down a set

well if you are such a strong hand reader I have no problem with the laydown. But a question, is he such a tight preflop raiser that he wouldn't raise AJo? and isn't it possible if he raises AJ that he can play it like this?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:49 PM

This guy doesn't lay down overpairs easily. If he has AA and the flop comes K-high, he'll bet and raise heavily assuming he's up against a good king (which he will be against many players in this game).
Old 07-12-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me how Ghazban expects to make money in this situation...

[/ QUOTE ]

If your opponent flopped the nuts, and you only have one out against him, then you aren't going to make any money, nor should you be trying to. This is where you save money instead.

[ QUOTE ]
all the other times he has an overpair, i doubt hes investing much more into this pot, hes probably folding by the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pure conjecture on your part with no basis upon any of the information provided. Furthermore, even if it were true, then Hero should make a killing off of bluffs.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:03 PM

I don't understand your check behind on the turn? Had you already made up your mind that he had a higher set by then? I think I like your laydown. I would say he has a set more often than anything else and AJ once in a while. I also wouldn't rule out KQ once in a while either.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:04 PM

Never fast plays top set?

Actually I don't want to hear anymore, I expect he had JJ or AA, most likely JJ.

Either way I can't see how anyone could advocate this play, unless you have a super read which tells you he check-calls mid / top set here 95% of the time and checks the turn.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand your check behind on the turn? Had you already made up your mind that he had a higher set by then? I think I like your laydown. I would say he has a set more often than anything else and AJ once in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that seemed most likely to me. I probably would've called a smaller river bet just to satisfy my curiosity. Instead, I got the same effect for free by typing "nice slowplay" in the chat box before folding [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2005, 05:18 PM

I was in this hand with you. (I folded on the flop) You called the river bet. He showed AA.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in this hand with you. (I folded on the flop) You called the river bet. He showed AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont care what the guy had. This hand is badly played.

But whats worse, if Taciturn is telling the truth, then Ghazban is posting this hand to make himself look like a bigshot laying down a set at the perfect time to prove himself better than the rest of us.....and he didnt even really fold!

I hope thats not what really happened.

If thats what happened why wouldnt he just post that he knew folding was correct but just couldnt do it. He still gets to look like he made a good read and nobody would blame him for not folding because his hand is good most times there no matter what his gut tells him, but he doesnt come off as a clown as he did here (if he really didnt fold).
Old 07-12-2005, 05:57 PM

after reading your posts for the past few months.. i often wonder how you're a winning player. nothing personal, but how do you not make this call? you make laydowns that i wouldnt dream of making... who knows, maybe they were correct.

what is your bb/100?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:00 PM

Is villian a multitabler? An observant player? What does he think of you?