Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 04:06 PM

Default 400 NL - Whats the river play and why?

My notes say that Villain is somewhat of a donkey. I have him as a lose caller kind of donkey.

6-max
Villain (400) limps on the button.
Hero (400) has 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB.

Everybody else folds around us.
Flop comes K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Pot (11)
Hero checks, villain checks

Turn Pot (11)
8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets 8, villain calls

So Im ready to give the hand up when ...

River - Pot 27
6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets 18, villain makes it 50 to play, Hero ?

Whats the best play and why ?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: 400 NL - Whats the river play and why?

what was the turn ?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what was the turn ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, calling station donkey or lag donkey?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:24 PM

Also, is the button openlimp suspicious? Many players almost always raise first in from the button but will limp AA-QQ because they don't want to just get the blinds.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, is the button openlimp suspicious? Many players almost always raise first in from the button but will limp AA-QQ because they don't want to just get the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

No - for this guy it doesnt strike me as suspicious
Old 07-12-2005, 04:49 PM

Hero calls.

$32 to call--$95 pot is giving you 3 to 1 odds. Your hand is well disguised. Very difficult for him to put you on trip 6's.

We know (hope) that the last 6 didn't help his hand, so whatever hand he had was made before the river. If he had a set, with the double flush draws and straight possibilities on the turn, he probably would have raised you there, if not the flop. If he had a straight, there's still flush draws on the turn, and he probably would have raised.

He's probably putting you on a 10, 8, or weak K and is trying to represent that he has a six in his hand. You win this pot far more than the 1 out of 4 times needed to make this call, so it's an easy call.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:59 PM

Assuming he usually bets flop with a K or T then he any hands he holds at river that are worse than you are quite weak. You look like you could be bluffing, though, so you'll likely get a call from quite a few hands. If I thought he'd raise worse hands often enough to make calling a raise clearly correct then I'd bet smaller to induce a raise.

As it is I think the odds are comfortably good enough to call. You'll split quite often and catch slowplayed 2 pair or bluff sometimes.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:02 PM

hmmm i've been in this situation many times; it's tricky. If you read villian as a loose calling donkey, then his limp on the button could mean that he has any two cards. The fact that he checks the flop confuses me b/c i think most donks will bet here if they hit it. You lead at the turn and he just calls; there's a good chance that he'd raise you here if a) he hit that flop hard or b) the 8 made him two pair. So right now i've got him on a pair of 8's or perhaps a flush draw. On the river you hit your trips, and I think that you're ahead here, but i wouldn't reraise b/c i'm not completely sure. So, I'd call.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it's highly unlikely that villain thinks hero has a 6, and therefore I think his hand range for raising the river is pretty large (it's also possible he is simply trying to blow hero off the hand by representing a 6) Getting 3-1 on the call, I think you will see 2 pair or even just a K with a good kicker often enough to make if profitable. Given your read that he tends to be a loose caller you will definitely see a 6 here sometimes, however I still think that you win more than you lose here.

-Solo
Old 07-12-2005, 05:23 PM

Raising is clearly bad (as no worse hand will call you) and, as you're getting 2:1 on the call, it comes down to your opponent. What kinds of hands do you think he does this with? I think you'll see KT/K8 often enough to call profitably.