Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Mastering no-limit holdem

Ciaffone/Reuben's book is THE bible in my opinion.
When I read it for the first time I didnt think so. I was slightly disappointed and didnt see much in this book. But after few rereads I realized how many concepts and subtleties I was missing...
Recommended.

Best wishes
Old 07-12-2005, 02:35 AM

I too wish I had not bought that book. It was a waste of my money and it is meant for the person who is still learning that a flush is better than a straight.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:46 AM

I looked at it for a while in the bookstore. I think the biggest problem is the authors don't seem like that great players. The material seems pretty basic and some of the advice seems questionable.

For example, they advocate playing a real LAG game with a big stack. A lot of people play that way, but most of these games are so loose that it takes a certain style of player to pull it off. You can blow a lot of chips that way.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:12 AM

The rule of 13 must be one of the most useless chapters in history of poker books. How many hands that add up to 12 or 14 would you play? Or 9? You get the point.

I really don't understand the point of a rule of 13. It makes no sense at all.

The chapters is a short one, but why even put a thought like this in the book?
Confusing.
A new player might think this is an important rule.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:37 AM

I concur that Ciaffone/Reuben's book is an amazing purchase that any serious NL cash game player should buy, but certainly only an experienced and knowledgeble player could reap any benefit out of the material, whereas Mastering NL holdem can easily suit a beginner's taste. Nevertheless, I find alot of the material misguided and could potentially leave a newbie short a few buyins.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:05 AM

Just finished the book.
Not a bad book, but if you have read the good limit books there is not alot of valuable advice in this.

The preflop advice and the "managing your mind and game" is the strongest parts of the book.
Postflop advice is not bad, but it doesn't include many examples and theories.

The advice that you should always play with maximum buy-in seems a bad one. If the book is intended for newbies why recommend them playing with a big stack? Seems a bit odd. It says you have a disadvantage otherwise.

I am a bit disappointed, but it is ok for a beginner. It's a bit like a WLLH for NL.

I just read PL & NL poker by Ciaffone and that book is much better. PL & NL doesn't include much specific advice on preflop play though, but if you are a good limit player you should understand preflop with the help of the Ciaffone book anyway.

Now I'm off to read read Super System 2 and "How good is your pot-limit hold'em". I hope I get more out of them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2005, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I just read PL & NL poker by Ciaffone and that book is much better. PL & NL doesn't include much specific advice on preflop play though

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it does. There aren't any charts, but it's all in the text.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just read PL & NL poker by Ciaffone and that book is much better. PL & NL doesn't include much specific advice on preflop play though

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure it does. There aren't any charts, but it's all in the text.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood me.
If you are a newbie the NL & PL poker book is not the easiest.
That was my point.

And yes most of the preflop advice needed is in the text.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:15 PM

I think the book is fine, but probably should have been called "An Introduciton to Small Stakes No-Limit Hold'em" instead. Clearly, after reading this book you will not be ready to play at tables full of solid players, so "Mastering" is a bit overstated. It is geared toward lower limit tables where the best strategy can be summed up with "wait until you flop a hand that can beat top pair or an overpair and get all in against top pair or an overpair, and try to win some small pots with top pair or an overpair and semibluffs while you bide your time so you get action on your monster. It is also nice to get all-in with AA and often KK preflop."

The rule of 13 taken as a law is stupid, but I think it is meant to serve as a reminder not to play total trash even with position and seemingly good pot odds more than as a rule.

Some of the recommmended plays might be a touch weak tight, but avoiding traps and monsters in NL is much more crucial than limit and so some laydowns that would seem ridiculous in limit become quite automatic. Still, I don't even remember seeing a dicussion of continuation bets on the flop when you raise preflop with AK for instance, so clearly the information is somewhat lacking.

Overall, not great, but not terrible for $14 (which is what I paid). Most of the content is reasonable, if not terribly original. I would say that it is probably a solid read for a beginner or a person coming over from limit. Then one should move on to the Ciaffone and Reuben NL and PL book.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:14 PM

There are so few books on NL ring games, especially low stakes NL, that I bought it. The fact that I'm going to vegas and the book deals with B&M games, seemed worth the risk. Wrong!
The book is nearly worthless. The hand quizes in the back are a decent idea, but I can get this online for free and actually have SOME faith in the answers.

All new players should read this book cover-to-cover, then come play with me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]