Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: PokerEdge Hacked! :-)

[ QUOTE ]
Please release your program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much need, really. You can open the HH files in any word processor, make your changes and close them back up again. Just study them to get the pattern and be EXTREMELY meticulous about spelling/punctuation/format. (Any mistake you make will likely void out that hand, but not affect other hands.) Once you get a pattern going, you can also use find and replace functions to just swap out some cards, which would have a dramatic effect on your stats (like replace all A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ).

It would be interesting to see how OP changed the games consistently; did you go to the extent of making the hand look reasonable? I mean, if you change an A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and left everything else the same, the play wouldn't make sense, although it might pass PE muster and so be included wrong in the stats. To make the games make sense, without repeating the same thing over and over, sounds to me like a rather complex programming job.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:00 PM

I doubt PE can currently handle psychotic usage like this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. However, as a programmer, I can say it wouldn't take long to prevent it.

1) You have to be a PE user. I imagine right now you could send bogus data to PE even if you're not a user.
2) If you ever get more than one of the same hand history and they differ, request the HH from Party. This could easily happen if two PE users get the same hand, but one of them is trying to sabotage.

I'm sure there's other ways to validate incoming data. Does the money won/lost make sense, do the file modification times make sense, etc, etc.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:03 PM

I don't get why you want it hacked.. personally I like that PE users see I'm a TAG, because most of them are TAG's, I want that to scare them away from my table.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hint: A skin and a second computer. You get the drift.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm,
-two skins
-two aliases
-both of them sitting at the same table
-at two different computers
-running PE on both computers
-manipulationg the other alias' stats on each computer
-sending the data into the PE db

This might work, unless:
-Party's trigger for two aliases always sitting at the same table fires
-PE is dumb enough _not_ to use a weighted average of the data sent in by all observing users (it would still bias your data, but not as bad)
-PE is dumb enough not to anticipate your little trick and hence doesn't filter out biased data (what should be pretty easy, as data is usually sent in from more than two users).

Getting around the first problem would mean to upload less data, hence reducing the bias.

So nice brag, pretty useless.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

just swap out some cards, ... (like replace all A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, would look pretty funny if in reality you've been dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] :
Changes to:

Hero was dealt: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (and here it finally is: the suited pair, monster hand, I tell you!)

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2005, 06:22 PM

Right, it's pretty easy to add some kind of auditing to PE servers if this HH poisoning becomes widespread: like give preference to HH from PE's farm servers if several different versions of the same hand get uploaded. For as long as PE people can get histories from their own sources, this is relatively useless beyond very short term.

I would think at some point Party will not let observers get any hand histories, if they are really serious about making datamining software less of a problem. UB just did this with their latest client upgrade: only players can see hand histories and it makes perfect sense to me. Then, if it happens, PE will have to rely on player's histories and then it may be worthwhile to manipulate your own hand histories fed to PE - it would still be possible for PE to try to detect poisoned HHs but much harder to do it (like if they have at least 3 PE players at the table, compare hand histores from all and accept the only one that has most votes, but how often there are 3 PE players at a table).
Old 07-11-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it would still be possible for PE to try to detect poisoned HHs but much harder to do it (like if they have at least 3 PE players at the table, compare hand histores from all and accept the only one that has most votes, but how often there are 3 PE players at a table).

[/ QUOTE ]

I encounter a PE user about once or twice in a 3 hour session. Often, it is a user I have encountered before, however.

In terms of reconciling hand conflict, while having 3 users at the table would categorically identify the "polluter", you could also identify polluters algorithmically. An identity that regularly conflicts with another PE user could be flagged for HH deletion after a certain threshold.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:36 PM

The simple workaround is that they just read the data from the file at the moment it is written, cache that, then upload from their cache. So unless you create a driver to intercept the data before the filesystem sees it, they will work around this in about 15 minutes. Especially now that you've told them.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:06 PM

Excellent. Not only can you skew your stats, but those for every player seated at your table as well.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why you want it hacked.. personally I like that PE users see I'm a TAG, because most of them are TAG's, I want that to scare them away from my table.

[/ QUOTE ]

other than that, I call bullshit on this thread. OP is full of it.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]