Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 05:49 AM

Default Re: What do you do?

Did SSH say to cold-call KQo in CO? Reread the section after the hand chart about this. Given that, on the flop, does anyone raise? Reason being to protect your TP outs, and to buy a free card in a large pot?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not right, especially for the limit he is playing. Blanket comments may be fine for you, but it's not reality. Is it often right to fold KQo to a raise in many situations in limit poker? Yes, but one is less likely to happen upon those situations as often while playing .50/1. People can disagree with that if they want, but I'm not sold.

As always, one needs a better idea of the whole situation to discern the proper play. That information is rarely provided in any of these HH posts, and it's the reason they aren't as helpful as they could be. Hands are not played in a vacuum, but it would seem as though most people on 2+2 like to view them that way.

If I'm going to go over this whole hand...

Preflop - With the info. you've provided, fine. Just don't fall in love with KQ.

Flop - I would fold this. Your overs aren't going to be good in many cases, and your backdoor flush and straight draws aren't always going to be good either. In fact, you may already be drawing dead. Being in relatively poor position on this street just makes it all that much worse.

But...

Turn - Once you've made the flop call, it's essential for you to call this bet. If you don't, you're just compounding the mistake I believe you made on the flop.

Oh, Clayton:
[ QUOTE ]
2) Fold to the raise on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Just fold to the first bet.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:47 AM

Fold preflop. The hand plays differently then.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no real problems with people telling him to fold this hand preflop. However, I do get the impression that you guys don't think about individual poker situations nearly as much as you should.

It may be easier and more comfortable to play and think that way, but it's not the right way to learn poker, IMO.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no real problems with people telling him to fold this hand preflop. However, I do get the impression that you guys don't think about individual poker situations nearly as much as you should.

It may be easier and more comfortable to play and think that way, but it's not the right way to learn poker, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, fair enough. That's a valid point. How about this then? Fold or reraise preflop.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good PF play is a very crucial aspect of playing good poker. Unless your postflop is godly, bad PF decisions can leave you in very marginal situations that can easily be very -EV if you make the wrong move (or frequently, -EV no matter what you do). I suspect that the flop is a very good example of this instance. The pot is mildly big, and you have 2 overs, but you are likely to be dominated/reverse dominated/drawing dead, so a case for folding or calling can be made. Raising isn't folding any hands that you want to fold.

No offense, but you obviously do not fit into the godly postflop category if you are wondering what to do on the turn.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good PF play is a very crucial aspect of playing good poker. Unless your postflop is godly, bad PF decisions can leave you in very marginal situations that can easily be very -EV if you make the wrong move (or frequently, -EV no matter what you do).

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, of course! This is absolutely correct, but good PF play obviously doesn't mean always making the same move every time against every player in every situation. That's all I was trying to say.

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but you obviously do not fit into the godly postflop category if you are wondering what to do on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize you said "you", but are actually referring to the OP.

In this respect, I must agree with you. If you are not a good to great postflop player, it's probably best to stay away from potentially tricky situations in the first place.

I sometimes just get a bit irked by all the blanket answers that are thrown around constantly on 2+2.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

OK, fair enough. That's a valid point. How about this then? Fold or reraise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know.

There isn't enough information available for me to give a solid answer here. Clearly, if one was going to play this hand, you would rather do it against fewer opponents. But I have no information about the tendencies of the other players yet to act, so it's difficult to say. All three options (reraise, call, fold) could be correct in different types of situations.

KQ is obviously a very marginal hand. Any recommendation for the correct play of marginal hands requires as much information about the situation as possible.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:36 AM

I knew what to do at the turn CALL Obviously just wanted to make sure it was correct as far as the SSH is concerned, Im not a good post flop player at all but this is one of the situations i have a problem with overcards and backdoors so all this is helping me allot. My preflop play is usually good this situation called for a call, everyone in this pot including the raiser had a VPIP over 50% and the raiser would have reraised with the KQ i was holding.

Awesome replies thanks

JUst to let you guys know i called and hit a king and lost but the pot was big enough where i thought i should continue even though i may have been drawing dead(which I was from the turn)
Old 07-11-2005, 12:45 PM

Fold Preflop