Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: I autopush this, would u play it different, if so why?

Well, heres my reasoning on this. This might be a big leak in my play.

1. I have not played a hand in quite a while. This is one of those 'minraise - 4 players to a flop, fold to the first minimum bet' crapshoots. Note that there are SEVEN players left at the level!

A few small stack pushes were called by Ax or low pocket pairs. I'm quite willing to race here because my post flop skills simply suck when I am out of position.

If I make a standard bet, get called and whiff the flop, I just levered off 30 to 40% of my stack. If I whiff and 'probe bet' and get called, I'm screwed even further.

So, I push this and take my chances. In this case QQ called and it held up, but thats poker. I was pretty much destined to lose all my chips here unless I limp/fold, which is just sucky poker. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:41 PM

I think pushing is fine. Making a standard raise might be better, but not by much and may even be worse.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:47 PM

I move allin here. There is no hand that I raise in this spot with 11.5x the BB that I don't move allin with. I never raise to like 275 and fold with any hand, and I play against the same opponents a lot, thus I try to move allin with any hand I raise. It's possible if everyone is anonymous Ill make a smaller raise with AA-QQ, but against players I know, I'll just move allin.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:38 PM

I think the looser the BB is, the better a play pushing becomes (b/c 2/3 of the time you're just called, you'll be sitting with Ace-high on the flop, and the more chips you'll have to invest to win the pot are very valuable), but pushing has it's problems as well. A lot of LAGs will be happy to come over the top with AQ, AJ, AT, and even worse non-pair hands, but won't coldcall 11+ BB with those hands. Of course, they may fold some mid-pairs that they'd come over the top of you as well, so it balances out somewhat. I don't think other play is that bad, but I'd probably make a standard-type of raise here (and with the new 75/150 blind level, it probably becomes a slightly better play than before).
Old 07-11-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the looser the BB is, the better a play pushing becomes (b/c 2/3 of the time you're just called, you'll be sitting with Ace-high on the flop, and the more chips you'll have to invest to win the pot are very valuable), but pushing has it's problems as well. A lot of LAGs will be happy to come over the top with AQ, AJ, AT, and even worse non-pair hands, but won't coldcall 11+ BB with those hands. Of course, they may fold some mid-pairs that they'd come over the top of you as well, so it balances out somewhat. I don't think other play is that bad, but I'd probably make a standard-type of raise here (and with the new 75/150 blind level, it probably becomes a slightly better play than before).

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically I agree with what Gramps said, however it leads me towards pushing. I get called way too often by crap to worry about how often my opponents are folding AJo but would decide to reraise if I made a standard raise.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:38 PM

I most definitely push this, as I would 88+ also
Old 07-11-2005, 04:40 PM

I open push here as well simply so people don't think they can go over the top with weak hands and bet me off of my AK or to prevent the BB from a stop and go.

Don't know how smart that is though.