Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 06:44 AM

Default Weird river, what do you do?

PartyPoker - $2/$4 - 10 players (Converter: PGC)

UTG is 45/3/1.5 (78)
MP2 is 59/0/0.6 (76)

Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

PreFlop
<font color="red">UTG RAISES</font>, <font color="blue">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="blue">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="green">MP2 Calls</font>, <font color="red">Hero RAISES</font>, <font color="blue">LP1 folds</font>, <font color="blue">CO folds</font>, <font color="blue">Button folds</font>
<font color="blue">SB folds</font>, <font color="blue">BB folds</font>, <font color="red">UTG RAISES</font>, <font color="green">MP2 Calls</font>, <font color="green">Hero Calls</font>

(3 players) FLOP: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 6.75 BB )
<font color="red">UTG BETS</font>, <font color="green">MP2 Calls</font>, <font color="red">Hero RAISES</font>
<font color="red">UTG RAISES</font>, <font color="green">MP2 Calls</font>, <font color="red">Hero RAISES</font>
<font color="green">UTG Calls</font>, <font color="green">MP2 Calls</font>

(3 players) TURN: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 12.75 BB )
<font color="green">UTG checks</font>, <font color="green">MP2 checks</font>, <font color="red">Hero BETS</font>
<font color="green">UTG Calls</font>, <font color="green">MP2 Calls</font>

(3 players) RIVER: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 15.75 BB )
<font color="red">UTG BETS</font>, <font color="red">MP2 RAISES</font>,
Old 07-11-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Weird river, what do you do?

Sadly, you fold. Sucks...but it happens -- you're beaten here a mind-boggling percentage of the time...certainly by MP2 with a PFA of 0.6, now after calling all the way down he's raising the river ahead of the guy who's been showing his teeth on every street? You're beaten, probably by both players...don't waste another 2 (or 3 or 4, if they continue raising) big bets just because you hate to dump your kings in a big pot. Just let it go, smile even though you don't feel like it, and move onto the next hand.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:57 AM

Gotta dump, especially when fishy fish wakes up and raises the river. If it was 1 bet to you, I call expecting to lose.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:11 AM

Easy fold.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:35 AM

I would have called one bet in that spot and loose, but certainly not 2. So fold.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:43 AM

In the 19 seconds after the raise I realised there was at least some chance that MP2 was scared of me and not of UTG - that he might win or chop with UTG if he could get me to fold.
I didn't know how often he might try it, thought it probably wouldn't be 5% (enough to make up for the 1BB) in this case I decided to pay to find out.

(3 players) RIVER: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ( Pot Size: 15.75 BB )
<font color="red">UTG BETS</font>, <font color="red">MP2 RAISES</font>, <font color="green">Hero Calls</font>
<font color="green">UTG Calls</font>

Final Pot:21.75 BB

Results:
MP2 shows:Ac5c,two pairs, jacks and sevens
MP3 shows:KsKd,two pairs, kings and jacks
UTG shows:QcQh,two pairs, queens and jacks

Now I'm starting to think a fishy Ace might try this more than 5% - am I giving him too much credit?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:55 AM

What an awful bluff by MP2. I think this is why I find myself calling down with strong hands too much even after I'm raised.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

MP2 shows:Ac5c,two pairs, jacks and sevens
MP3 shows:KsKd,two pairs, kings and jacks
UTG shows:QcQh,two pairs, queens and jacks

Now I'm starting to think a fishy Ace might try this more than 5% - am I giving him too much credit?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is hard to believe. Raising with a busted flush, representing a J. I believed MP2 definitely had a J. Well, I'd say in this particular hand you were fortunate that the raise didn't mean you were beat, but instead contained perhaps the worst bluff in the history of life. I wouldn't make a habit out of calling 2 cold on the river against two opponents, one of which was aggressive throughout, and the other who wakes up on the river. Most of the time you'll be 2nd best and some of the time you'll be 3rd best. Nice job in this hand, but I wouldn't let this result influence future decisions when it appears you're definitely beat.