Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 03:42 PM

Default AA did I hose this or what..??

Poker Stars 3-6 NL

(What am I doing in this game anyway??!!)

First time I ever played at this level. I am just tired of fighting the lower limit multitabling rocks. They are not good players, just tight nut peddlers who take way too much time to act, and fold most of the time.

So here I am, having won a few bucks off the nut peddlers, I am trying out the high board.

Hero $321
Villian $657

Hero is 2 off the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian is UTG +2. I, of course, do not have a lot of history on this villian, but he is a tighty over 80 hands, 16%vip, and he has not had to showdown yet in an substantial hand.

Folded to villian who raises $18.

Folded to hero who makes first idiot mistake. Although, in my own defense, I KNOW this is dangerous. But I have seen it work out well too.

Hero smooth calls $18. I think I have to either smooth call, make pretty decent raise of $70 -$100, or push. With these stacks, I feel I am unlikely to get a call from any hand on a push, and mostly won't get a call in any case. So my retarded thinking led me to a smooth call.

Is it retarded to think along these lines? Or is there some merit to my reasoning?

Folded to big blind who also calls.

$57 in the pot.

Flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

GADS...

Villian leads out $30. OK, I figure autobet, or maybe a Q, or possibly something more sinister, a semi bluff for the clubs.

Pot is $87, hero bets $90. My second mistake is probably not overbetting the pot somewhat more. If villian is on a draw, I really really want to chase him off, not to mention the the BB still behind.

BB folds, then villian pops it back with a $180 bet.

Oh gosh, I can only see QQ, or some kind of 8 doing this, possibly A8 suited..??

Hero calls $90 more.. looking for..???

Turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], villian pushes, and after much agonizing, hero tucks his tail and folds.....

How am I doing so far..?? Anyone want me at their table??

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: AA did I hose this or what..??

Preflop you had to reraise, maybe to $40-45 or so. You don't want to lose the villain, but you don't want to make it a family pot with the blinds in it.
On the flop, you should have pushed all-in after his $180 reraise. If he has queens full or quad eights, this is just bad luck. Maybe you should play at lower limits if such decisions make you uncomfortable.
On the turn, what exactly were you putting him on? I don't see how he could have a flush, most people don't raise in his position with KJ or worse, and you had the ace of the suit. If you thought he had a full house, you had to fold this on the flop. Otherwise, with possibly best hand and an ace-high flush draw, you should have called all-in on the turn. He could have AQ, KK, even a lower pair, lots of hands you could beat.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:36 PM

When you call preflop, adn it goes bet, raise, reraise on the flop, with your stack, I'm putting my stack in here.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:46 PM

I think you know by your post you played this very bad. With an aggressive player shorthanded 3-6nl he is always going to auto-bet this flop AT BEST he has a Q and thinks his good...when he reraises maybe AQ if his lucky enough to have the 8 it was your mistake for not reraising pre. Also you have alot of money in and the NUT flush draw...i say be a man and put the rest in...look at his hand at showdown and learn from it if you lose.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:57 PM

You give the impression that you are playing above your bankroll. If this is the case, you really need to reraise this preflop. It will make the hand much easier to play.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You give the impression that you are playing above your bankroll. If this is the case, you really need to reraise this preflop. It will make the hand much easier to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

By reraising preflop, it becomes easier because he can now push the flop to villain's reraise ? Assuming it still goes that way on the flop, I don't know..

Just trying to learn.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:46 PM

THIS PLAY WAS AWFUL! after you get 3-bet on the flop, go allin or fold. Don't peel, and fold to a non-dangerous card when he bets like he most certainly would (villain likely doens't have a flush draw since you have the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] PLUS he 3-bet it oop).

Hands that 3-bet you on the flop include AQ or KK, maybe even KQ.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:48 PM

Thanks for all the good advise.

Basically I thought too much..

After not making a good reraise preflop, I should have had it in mind to push the flop no matter what came off.

I suspect that is fairly +ev, but by far the better play is to make a substantial reraise preflop. Make him pay to outdraw me.

Then push the flop anyway.

Right..??

Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:09 PM

If you repop preflop, does top pair call your flop push on his bet, being that he's pretty tight ? Could he fold KK even ?

edit: as far as TP goes, I guess it depends on how much he's willing to call preflop w AQ/KQ.