Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 12:42 AM

Default straight draws in Omaha Hi

Hey, another Omaha hi post from me. Yay !!

I got an idea that in Omaha, your straight draws aren't as good as they appear to be . Even on a good looking board with no pairs and no flush draws. Someone can easily hit or have 3 of a kind and have a redraw to a full or hit runner flush and with so many seeing the flop in omaha, it happens so often that I really think you need better than 5 to 1 odds on your straight draw to see the turn. You need more like 7 to 1 even on a good flop. In my opinion, anyone think I'm right ? It's different from hold'em in that if you have 6 people seeing the flop , it's like playing against 12 people in a hold'em game. With so many people having draws, your straights just don't hold up too well.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: straight draws in Omaha Hi

Yeah it's true that straight draws are trouble hands in Omaha Hi. I definitely agree that a mere straight draw needs good odds to continue. I think your estimate of 7 to 1 is close but you don't necessarily need that to continue. This, of course depends a lot on your opponents. If you play with calling stations you will get good implied odds on your draw so I think it comes closer to something like 6 to 1. I have no math to back it up, just my thoughts. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Rozez
Old 07-09-2005, 03:11 PM

it depends on whether you are playing plo or limit omaha. i don't know too much about limit omaha high but in plo it usually depends on the pot odds and your position. now, if i was playing plo and held, for example, 89TQ and the flop was 67Jr and i was getting the right odds to call, i would call anytime i flopped a big wrap like this. if this is about plo you will get some good replies in the pot limit omaha section of this forum.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:49 PM

straight draws I find are the best holdings to have when drawing. The implied odds of everything else suck except for the overfull. straights and overfulls, those are your bread and butter in omaha.

The best way to trump a set and have to board have a "normal" appearance to it is to make a straight.

The implied odds of a straight are greater than that of a flush (you're crazy if you think otherwise) The straight is paid off a million times more than the flush it's not even remotely close. Straight draws (even just open ended) are sooo good in low stakes omaha.

[ QUOTE ]
Someone can easily hit or have 3 of a kind and have a redraw to a full or hit runner flush and with so many seeing the flop in omaha

[/ QUOTE ]

why are you opposed to them putting their money in the pot with these holdings? OK they aren't drawing dead, but you're way ahead.

Straights are so easy to get away from too, unlike that bastard the king high flush you just rivered.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:50 PM

I agree with you for PLO. but I'm pretty sure we're talking limit here. straight draws are brutal in limit. the implied odds aren't all that great. people find the straights. and they fold when they don't catch up. perils of a straight draw: bigger straight redraw, flush, full house, and our special friend the chop (who probably free-rolled us with a, b, or c). brutal. qualification: I'm talking about a good limit game, where avg to the flop is like 7 and avg to the river is like 4 or 5. you're just too vulnerable. not saying I never play them. just that I never enjoy it.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:19 PM

Not all straight draws are created equal. A big wrap (12-16 outs or more) on a medium-high rainbow board is a huge hand. On the other hand, an OESD (and no other draws/holdings) on a two flush paint board is a total trap hand (good chance of chopping if you have say, KJxx on a QTx board, more likely to be against a set/two (or three) pair, etc) and should be folded fairly often.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:33 PM

Agreed. Even if your straight outs are to the nuts, you often end up chopping with someone who makes the same straight.