Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Top pair vs. possible flush?

I'm never sure how to play a board like this when I've got a decent hand. Don't have much of a read on MP1, seems LA.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.07. MP3 posts a blind of $0.05.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, SB calls, Hero ?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Top pair vs. possible flush?

Bet the flop. You don't want to give a free card to a single club.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:21 PM

You should raise here. The reason for just calling on the flop was to be able to raise a non [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn.

-Jaran
Old 07-10-2005, 02:26 PM

Bet the flop. You probably have the best hand. Flopped flushes are rare and I hate giving people credit for them. It's a risk but you a) want lone [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]'s paying you off when you're good, which they will all the way to the river, and b) would hate to give a free card to one of these lone [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]'s.

The way you played it I'd raise the turn. Your equity is much better with the non [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn, so push it. Lone [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]'s aren't going anywhere.

Hopefully you get to showdown without too much action. If it gets hairy though, you can lay this down.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should raise here. The reason for just calling on the flop was to be able to raise a non [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn.

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

Checkraising here traps your opponents in the hand. Do we want to do that? The read is that villian is aggressive. Why not bet out and hope that he raises?
Old 07-10-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

Checkraising here traps your opponents in the hand. Do we want to do that? The read is that villian is aggressive. Why not bet out and hope that he raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the positions wrong [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. I woulda bet the flop. But, given the way the op played it, I think a c/r on the turn is for value. SB isn't going anywhere with his K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], so lets get his money in the pot while we have the best of it.

-Jaran
Old 07-10-2005, 04:21 PM

raise
Old 07-10-2005, 06:09 PM

I would lead the flop. Don't let any single clubs get a free card.