Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Re: \"Fold, keep your image tight so you can steal more later\"

my problem isn't :
[ QUOTE ]
25/50 folded to you in lp with AJo, AJs or AQ or something like that. these hands may be a bit too good for the actual example, but whatever, people are saying "why would you raise here, why not just fold and preserve your image.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that this is stupid as well. My problem is that after pushing 3 times in a row from the SB or button any opponent with half a brain will loosen up his calling standards. When I've been playing aggressively taking advantage of every situational +EV push I sometimes find myself folding in spots that *should* be +EV with the blinds even bigger but I'm afraid that I've been bullying so much that I will finally get called by crap. I feel like if I had folded my junk last time in the SB with 100/200 blinds I would now be able to push junk on the 150/300 blinds, but my previous aggression changes this push to -EV.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is that after pushing 3 times in a row from the SB or button any opponent with half a brain will loosen up his calling standards. When I've been playing aggressively taking advantage of every situational +EV push I sometimes find myself folding in spots that *should* be +EV with the blinds even bigger but I'm afraid that I've been bullying so much that I will finally get called by crap. I feel like if I had folded my junk last time in the SB with 100/200 blinds I would now be able to push junk on the 150/300 blinds, but my previous aggression changes this push to -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, this is different. You're talking about "Fold, to try to get your image to go back to tight" or something like that. Certainly if you think that you feel your opponents' calling standards have opened up too much due to the constant late game pushing, and now you're left with a push which may in fact be -EV for you (probably -EV for whatever the guys are going to call with too) that would normally be a +EV push, folding is a good idea. Hell, even if it's a +EV push that will be +EV against their probable calling standards in the late game, it's sometimes a fold. But again, different sort of concept. I'm fine with this one, which is all about late game tempers and the like.

What the OP was about was early to mid stage of the game spots where people are constantly advocating not playing hands because they would rather be thought of as basically ONE FOLD tighter when it gets to the late game.

citanul
Old 07-09-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I also limp 22, 75s and T7o there and there is absolutely no reason not to limp half the deck in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but care to elaborate? Are you trying to hit two pair or trips with a hand like T7o because you think that your implied odds are high enough?
Old 07-09-2005, 08:41 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with the opinion that image is virtually meaningless in the SnG arena. If you're playing long sessions against the same opponents, then "set-up" plays are powerful tools. As Sammy Farha has said (roughly), "I'll lose $2000 to you 5 times, and then take $100,000 from you in one hand." Sacrificing a bit of +EV in the current hand can certainly be worth the larger prize down the road.

But in a short online SnG, I wouldn't even consider sacrificing +EV for ANYTHING in the future. The odds of facing a situation later in the tournament that is affected by ONE SINGLE HAND earlier are quite small, in my opinion. As far as SnGs, my strategy is to play the cards, the odds, and the opponents in every hand. I'm not concerned with hands in the future.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:43 PM

welcome to the forum!

citanul
Old 07-11-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I also limp 22, 75s and T7o there and there is absolutely no reason not to limp half the deck in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but care to elaborate? Are you trying to hit two pair or trips with a hand like T7o because you think that your implied odds are high enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a standard cash game limp he's referring to. If there were deeper stacks, say in a MTT, i'd limp a lot of hands too.

I'm just in the habit of doing what this thread advocates not doing. I don't think that i'll quickly change either as i currently suck at playing poker, good think i understand position and blind stealing [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]