Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 02:27 AM

Default WSOP ME: Short Stack Day 2 Strategy

Hey guys. I'm going into day 2 with 9250, with blinds at 300/600 and antes at 75, so I'm not in great shape but I don't think I'm short enough yet to start pushing every hand. I also don't really have enough to make a decent raise preflop and then make any play postflop except for pushing. Can someone give me a general rundown of how to handle this? I realize this is a pretty vague and general question, but I'd appreciate some guidance. I don't play many tournaments, especially ones with antes. Any other tips would be appreciated too.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:29 AM

Default Re: WSOP ME: Short Stack Day 2 Strategy

Good luck, i will be keeping posted on the 2+2ers.
Other than that sorry i dont have the experiance to be giving advice here. Although i would like to here advice here.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2005, 08:42 AM

Best advice from me would be to stay patient early, it's costing you 1575 around so you've only got 6 orbits left in your stack. So I would say your only move is to open push, but I don't think you are at a desperate open push.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:53 AM

You definitely want to start pushing with 99+ and AQ+. Push marginal hands against stronger players and stronger hands against weaker players. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:49 AM

Play middle pairs and better, and big unpaired cards hard. Don't get involved with speculative hands like small pairs and suited connectors (unless on a pure steal and then it doesn't make much of a difference what cards you have). This goes for both opening and calling meaning if raised in front of you, you might just have to start making a strong move with hands like AQ and 99.

With 6 orbits left you need to play aggressively but you don't have to open push. But if you don't pick up the blinds and antes after 1 or 2 orbits then that will be your only option.

If you get even more shortstacked then you'll have to start pushing with lots of hands like smaller pairs and smaller aces. The key is position, and being the first person in the pot.

Good luck.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:14 PM

I wouldn't consider myself in push or fold mode until I dropped below 6K here, but as you say, you don't have much room post flop for anything except push. So I would make standard raises with your very best hands and push with the hands that would be tougher to play post-flop like JJ-77.

Depending on how much gamble you have you might want to start pushing a lot right away from late positions. Your stack is big enough that you'll only be called if you run into a monster, then hope to pick up a big hand after a couple of pushes, leading to the frustration call from someone playing police on you. THis is much more likely to double you up or knock you out, but is often preferable to the slow death of being ante'd off.

On the other hand, If you can pick off one set of blinds and ante's an orbit you can hang on for a long time, and look for someone in front of you who's raising a little too often and make a re-raise for all your chips. One steal re-raise can be worth 3 orbits of blinds, but you need to pick someone who will be hurt by your stack, the huge stacks are much less likely to fold to you.

Good luck, wish I was there.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I have a couple orbits to wait for a hand to get it all in with. I'll check this thread again tonight if anyone has anything else.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:24 PM

Open pushing isn't a terrible strategy. If you manage to pick up A-A or K-K you could raise half your stack and then move the rest in on the flop. Not a whole lot to work with, but you're still breathing
Old 07-09-2005, 04:38 PM

Be aware of the fact that you have almost no FE if you reraise, so if the pot is already raised you should not go all in with hands like AJ, 55 and the like.