Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Tough spot with JJ

This is not a tough spot. There are few hands that beat you (KK, QQ, AT) and only one of which is probably possible given the play so far (AT). KK/QQ might be shown down every once in a while, but it seems a little bit doubtful. On the other hand, KQ, KJ, QJ, 66 all play as described, as well as many other overplayed hands such as AK, JT, KT, AQ and the random crap that makes you go "huh?" every once in a while.

This isn't a tough spot. The only question here is whether you should raise or just simply call. If I were you, I would have thought it was likely the min-raiser was on a draw on the turn and pushed back over him, forcing him to make a mistake if he had any hand other than AT and T9, which will happen - but not enough for you to worry about the times it does. There are lots of strong drawing hands on the turn (such as KT, QT, JT, as well as non-strong drawing hands like AK, AQ) ... this is such a broadway-heavy board that too many people will think they've "hit" when in fact they're far behind. Plus min-raises often mean the person is drawing and wants a free card.

Once you just call the turn, I think you should lead out with a smallish bet (say $15 again) with the intention of looking weak and calling any raise. This should lead him to bluff out missed draws and gain you some extra money, as well as gaining you some extra money from weak hands like K9 or AK that he probably wouldn't river bet, but would river call.

I'm guessing since you posted this here he had AT or T9. Oh well. Doesn't change anything.